Tubbing a '72 - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old May 19th, 09, 11:06 PM
Tech Team
Terry

soundman has a positive reputation
Default Tubbing a '72

Ok, so my son will be graduating next year, and thinking that a cool graduation present would be to have his 72 Nova rear narrowed and tubbed for him. To get some maybe like 29x15.5's under it. Don't think I have the abilities to tackle something like this. Has anyone had a chassis shop do this recently? Just wanting a vague ballpark to see if it's something I can swing. Probably going ladder bar setup would be less expensive, for a pro-street setup?
Thanks, Terry
1976 Camaro LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 09, 09:10 AM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation
Default Re: Tubbing a '72

Two issues come to mind. First is I recommend that you buy a "how to do it yourself" VCR tape from Art Morrison that shows you how to install all of his products (back half kit uses narrowed frame rails, with connectors to the front frame) wheel tubs and suspension components into a third gen Nova (1968-'74). In only 24 minutes he took a stock Nova to a pro street/comp class car (that may have been due to the magic of video though).

The second is that ladder bars are not street friendly as the car will be breaking parts if you get any body lean (cornering) because a ladder bar will only allow the rear end to rotate but not rotate and go up and down (bumps and pot holes on one side of the car) at the same time. That is why everyone runs four links at the track and on the street. A four link allows the rear end to float freely.

Big Dave
Old May 20th, 09, 11:24 AM
Tech Team
Terry

soundman has a positive reputation

Thanks Big Dave. So excluding the wheels and tires, would this be like a couple of grand project, or more? Would I be better off stuffing the biggest ET streets and Cal-Tracs under it? He's in love with with the pro-street look, but he might have to foot that bill himself in a few years!
Terry
1976 Camaro LT
Old May 20th, 09, 11:27 AM
Senior Tech Team *
Jay

jays64II has a positive reputation

they make frame rails that still retain leaf spring perches so you can keep it leaf sprung if you want. if it is just a street car/cruiser that is the way i would go.

if you can weld , measure properly , use a torch/plasma cutter , cut and fit tin then you can do a back half. 29x15 wide tire is pretty big. on the street though i'd go with a radial tire. you'd be surpised how big a 325/50/15 drag radial on a 12" wide rim will look under a mini tubbed and slammed Nova

Mazzoni Enterprises & Outlaw Autoworks
mazzoni_enterprises@yahoo.com

http://inlinethumb57.webshots.com/12...600x600Q85.jpg
Old May 20th, 09, 11:31 AM
Site Moderator
~the Sedan Man~

SHIFTY4 has a positive reputation

at the www.JollyRodder.com site in the "Conversions & Upgrades" section, at the very bottom, there's 3 links on mini-tubbing/tubbing a 3rd genner Nova. maybe browsing through what those folks did might be of assistance to you... show ya what's involved anyways, right ?

hope i've helped,

JR
SHIFTY4

Old May 20th, 09, 02:40 PM
Tech Team
Dustin

Slammedsdyme01 has a positive reputation

A cheaper way of doing it would be to mini tub the car and use offset hangers for the leaf springs. They will allow a wider tire and still save you some cash. IMO if you do decide to go the narrowed backhalf route a 3 or 4 link is the only way to go. Ladder bars dont allow very much articulation without binding up and breaking parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement