tuning 3310 2 holley - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Jul 17th, 12, 05:30 AM
Tech Team

jerryt has a positive reputation
Default tuning 3310 2 holley

I am having a problem with my 3310 2 holley 750 carb. The carb works well when its cold. but once the choke comes off the idle dies down and then the car stalls. This is a holley 3310 2 carb 5.5 vacume valve. I also have the fuel and air mixture screw at 1 and 3/4 turns out from lightly bottoming out. Also the float are set so when you bounce on the fender fuel dribbles out. Also this carb is on a 383 smallblock chevy. Any suggestions?

Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 17th, 12, 09:20 AM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation
Default Re: tuning 3310 2 holley

There are two idle adjustment screws. The primary screw is on the drivers side and the secondary screw is on the bottom passenger side of the carb. The secondaries have to be closed at idle. If that screw was not adjusted properly it will allow air in so that it runs lean and dies when the choke is opened up.

Your 5.5 Power Valve will richen the mixture if it opens prematurely. The Power Valve is selected by halving the idle vacuum and rounding up to the closest number you can find that fits the vacuum reading. Running too rich is just as bad as running too lean. But if it were running too rich it wouldn't run at all with the choke on.

The fact that you have a modified Power Valve indicates to me that you don't have a stock cam (of course a 383 displacement is also a clue). As such I wonder if the added RPM offered by the choke being on is getting you by as far as the stall speed of your torque converter goes. I am wondering if your stalling is due to a converter that is too tight for your cam. (A simple test is does it stall in Park when the choke comes off, or only when you put it in gear?).

If adjusting the idle RPM fixes your problem then all you need is a screw driver. But without being there to see it, or more info I can not say.

Big Dave
Old Jul 17th, 12, 09:28 AM
Site Moderator
Art

62 NovaWagon has a positive reputation

Need more info, like cam specs, timing, vac reading at idle, converter stall??????...
Old Jul 23rd, 12, 01:58 AM
Tech Team

jerryt has a positive reputation

sorry i havnt posted anything on 3310. i looked over the carb and found the rear float was to high. after adjusting level and fuel air mixture to 1 and 3/4 out from bottoming out lightly. also idle speed adjusted to 800 rpm in gear. car runs fine now. i am going to play with jetting and power valve maybe 6.5.

jerry
Old Jul 23rd, 12, 08:15 AM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

Whoaa!
If it runs fine don't touch it. It won't get any better than your fine now. You need an oxygen sensor and a vacuum gauge to tune a carb from what Holley sets as standard for your cfm.

Big Dave
Old Jul 23rd, 12, 11:14 PM
Site Moderator
Art

62 NovaWagon has a positive reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryt View Post
sorry i havnt posted anything on 3310. i looked over the carb and found the rear float was to high. after adjusting level and fuel air mixture to 1 and 3/4 out from bottoming out lightly. also idle speed adjusted to 800 rpm in gear. car runs fine now. i am going to play with jetting and power valve maybe 6.5.

jerry
Glad you got it running, but 1 3/4 turn is only a starting point, once the motor is up to temp you adjust either way for highest rpm or vacuum with a gauge. The power valve is held closed by vacuum, take a reading at idle and use a power valve to the closest number that will keep it closed at idle, that's the only tuning on the power valve you need, sounds like it's close as it is so don't stray away....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement