Fred Gibb Chevrolet - Page 8 - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

COPO & Dealer Factory & Dealer Performance

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Mar 15th, 10, 04:15 PM
Tech Team

copo-2 has a positive reputation
Default Re: Fred Gibb Chevrolet

Something else that might be of interest to some is the fact that of the date of the conversion of the CY code Turbo 400 to the addition of the CX Turbo 400 that came in the 69 COPO Camaro's & Chevelle's. The 1969 L-78 models of Nova's, Camaro's, & Chevelle's also used the CX. There was only a few minor difference's in these two with the main difference being the CY having a tighter converter with a noticeable firmer shift?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 15th, 10, 08:48 PM
Tech Team

WILMASBOYL78 has a positive reputation

Ray, good stuff..thanks for sharing.

tw
Old Mar 23rd, 10, 12:01 AM
joe

izzybad72 has a positive reputation

I think the facts that Ray shares are very important to the history of novas. As far as novas go, FG and DH are the first to do anything significant to its history. The forefathers of nova insanity. The 50 copos have always fascinated me, how many were supertuned, how many were 427's, how many had stingers,cragers, how many remained sleepers, and of which color were these cars? Maybe only DH knows? But just realize there were only 50! 10 red, 10 green, 10 turqoius, and 20 dk. blue. These cars are special.
Just in passing Ray how many are accounted for?
And yes Wilma these cars were before my time.
Joe
Old Mar 23rd, 10, 04:10 PM
Tech Team

Joe,

The numbers you posted of the colors are correct. Two things about this number to keep in mind, the red, green & turquoise Nova's were the first 30 built of this lot being 07A and having black interiors, however the last 20 were blue exterior with blue interior, built the 2nd week of July (07B). This is the only exceptions of specifications on this lot of 50. Numbers I have in reference show 3 DH prepared 427's & 4 DH 396 prepped originally, leaving a total of 8 survivors being sold as factory original. There are at least 3 factory originals that were destroyed, and at least 2 more that DH did of the 427's, personally having raced against them at the local track? One was blue the other red. The other car I know about but has never been located is the original race car that Gibb & Harrell campaigned. This only accounts for about 21 total, so over half of these are yet to be located. Harry Kalwei & Jack Walker both had 68 Nova's running as team cars, but not sure that either were of the COPO lot, possibility of one having the former fuscia race car? One is known to have been an original L-79 converted to a 427. I don't think anyone really knows how many of the origianal 50 were tweaked by DHPC?
Old Mar 24th, 10, 12:34 AM
joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by copo-2 View Post
Joe,

The numbers you posted of the colors are correct. Two things about this number to keep in mind, the red, green & turquoise Nova's were the first 30 built of this lot being 07A and having black interiors, however the last 20 were blue exterior with blue interior, built the 2nd week of July (07B). This is the only exceptions of specifications on this lot of 50. Numbers I have in reference show 3 DH prepared 427's & 4 DH 396 prepped originally, leaving a total of 8 survivors being sold as factory original. There are at least 3 factory originals that were destroyed, and at least 2 more that DH did of the 427's, personally having raced against them at the local track? One was blue the other red. The other car I know about but has never been located is the original race car that Gibb & Harrell campaigned. This only accounts for about 21 total, so over half of these are yet to be located. Harry Kalwei & Jack Walker both had 68 Nova's running as team cars, but not sure that either were of the COPO lot, possibility of one having the former fuscia race car? One is known to have been an original L-79 converted to a 427. I don't think anyone really knows how many of the origianal 50 were tweaked by DHPC?
So of the 5 427's you have 2 blue,1 red, what are the others?
Joe
Old Mar 24th, 10, 12:30 PM
Tech Team

3 blue, 1 turquoise, 1 red. The 3 blues are mine, the former Kim H's car, & the other original I mentioned racing at the local dragstrip identical in appearance with the one I bought. In reference to how many of the 50 DH may have been tweaked with 427's, Dick Harrell had a dealer network set up to sell his nova's, chevelles, & camaro's. These dealers were located West of the Mississippi River region continuing to the Pacific Coast. Courtesty Chevrolet owned several dealerships in the Western region of the U.S., being one of his most active accounts, from what I have researched? There were several other individual dealerships that sold his cars, also? If Dick were still alive, there more than likely would be a definitive answer as to how many may have received the 427? I'm sure he kept records of these as they were identified with his stickers, including his serial number? I have been asked about the 427 pictured in the Nov. 68 issue of PHR? As far as I know, no one has been able to identify that car, so in all probability that is another 427 that isn't being counted? The known cars would have been done and sold after the article was published? The car pictured in the article appears to be blue, though in black & white, so as too total number without the records, would only be speculation?
Old Apr 28th, 10, 12:17 PM
Tech Team

In a bulletin sent to authorized GM dealer's dated July 12, 1968, concerns the new re-designed Turbo-400. By noting the date to that of the building of the 50 COPO novas, this document is referring to them? In having a copy, I never was able to scan where it could be read? Word for word here is what it says.

{New Heavy Duty Turbo Hydra-Matic Transmission}
A new heavy duty or "high speed" version of the Turbo Hydra-Matic transmission will be available with the 425 HP V-8 for Chevrolet models, for the 375 HP V-8 for Chevelle, Chevy ll, and Camaro models, and the 430 and 435 HP Corvette. Previously, only manual transmissions were available with these engines. The new transmission includes modifications to accept the greater engine torque, higher RPM's, and generally more rigerous operation anticipated with these high output engines.

To accommodate engine speeds up to 7800 RPM, 1600 RPM higher than mormal operating range, a special torque converter assembly is used with all pump and turbine blades welded rather than crimped in place. The converter assembly is bolted to the engine flywheel at six points, double the number of the standard unit.

Because of the higher torque loads experienced during hard acceleration, premimum quality driven plate facings are used in the intermediate clutch, which is applied to accompolish the 1-2 upshift. Firmer upshifts are obtained through modifications to the accumulators in the intermediate 1-2 and direct 2-3 clutch apply circuits to reduce cushioning action. Governor calibrations are also revised to raise the maximum upshift point from 5100 to 6300 RPM.

All other design details, including converter ratio and gear ratios, are common with the Turbo Hydra-Matic used with regular high displacement engines.

This is the history behind the experimental Turbo 400 used in the Gibb Nova's.
Old Jul 8th, 10, 12:20 AM
joe

Hope to see you at Monmouth this year!!
Joe
Old Mar 29th, 11, 05:26 PM
Tech Team

In looking back, I don't remember posting a picture of another of the COPO Nova's. Information on this one turned up at a show in Topeka, KS. The original owner of this car dropped by explaining he once owned a DH 427 Nova. Kim Howie & I both were interested enough to follow up on this conversation in locating this car. Kim later purchased this car. Also a 68 red DH 427 Camaro was found, which is now in a private collection in Seattle, WA. This person now owns the COPO DH 427 Nova waiting a restoration of my last knowledge? Here's a picture of it in action.

This is a picture of another of the DH prepared COPO Nova's in action.

Old Jul 29th, 11, 04:20 PM
Tech Team

Just a reminder of the up-coming 13th Annual Fred Gibb Memorial Car Show that will be held in the park at LaHarpe, IL. The show is scheduled for Saturday, August 6, 2011. Preceding this show is also an open display of cars on the streets of Monmouth on Friday afternoon and night. This is a fun event which overwhelms this small community with a lot of nice rides. Information can be obtained by going to the Gibb web site. www.fredgibb.com

This picture is taken in front of the former Gibb dealership at one of the Gibb Shows featuring some of the cars that carry a link to this former high performance dealer.

Old Feb 27th, 12, 11:31 AM
Tech Team
Doc

docrocket1967 has a positive reputation

Pretty awesome pics.
1972 NOVA SS CLONE
POS 66 MUSTANG
Old Mar 2nd, 12, 06:01 PM

FORGE SHOW has a positive reputation

Why did they change the name of the show and remove FRED GIBB?
Old May 23rd, 12, 04:23 PM
Tech Team

Noticed on another site, it has been announced another of the Tripoli Turquoise COPO Novas has been located with about 8,000 miles. According to information, as I understand, it would be the #1 car? If so, it would serve as knowing both the #1 COPO Nova and #1 ZL-1 Camaro are still alive? Both are recogonized as a major part of Chevrolet COPO history.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement