mini tub - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Wheels & Tires What fits what?

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Feb 3rd, 11, 12:05 PM
BERNIE

chubbyx1 has a positive reputation
Default mini tub

have anybody did a mini tub in a 70 nova? how much tire can go underneath and do you cut rear for size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 3rd, 11, 02:27 PM
Senior Tech Team *
Jeff Hayes

Blown73 has a positive reputation
Default Re: mini tub

I think a few people here have. Check out my pics to see what I did.

http://www.novas.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19521
Old Feb 3rd, 11, 03:38 PM
BERNIE

I,m trying to find your pics
Old Feb 3rd, 11, 04:59 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

Welcome to the Team Bernie!

A mini tub opens the wheel wel up even with the "frame rail" on the back of the car. It allows you about 12 inches from inner fender panel lip to the frame side wheel well . It requires you to move the shock absorbers in side the leaf spring and to off set the leaf spring a bit using either just bent shackles or bent shackles and an offset front spring eye mounting cup.

You can look at vearious sites that sell mini-tub kits (usually frame shops for race cars such as S&W, Chris Alston) or companies like DSE and Moroso (also called Competition Engineering when selling non-motor specific parts) that sell race car harware.

Big Dave
Old Feb 3rd, 11, 07:52 PM
BERNIE

thanks dave.
Old Feb 3rd, 11, 10:27 PM
Dan

Novaboy69 has a positive reputation

Most guys that are doing mini tubs on the 68-74 novas are running a 295/35/18.

But i mocked up a 305/30/18 toyo R888, and thats a wide tire.
Old Feb 3rd, 11, 11:04 PM
Gary

L78 Nova has a positive reputation

The tightest point in the tub is at the rear of the wheel opening because the frame rails angle outwards. The max tire will depend on how low the car sits and if the frame rails are notched at the back or not. My car runs 28 x 12.50 ET Streets and sits low (12.50"wide at the sidewall). The rails have been squeezed about 1/2". The rear diff and rim selection is critical to fit this much tire without rubbing. The tire must be centered in the narrowest portion of the tub.

Raising the car 2" would add LOTS of clearance. Low profile tires are also easier to fit.

Notching the rear rails can gain about 1-1/4" of clearance.
Gary

Click image for larger version

Name:	img_3246.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	2679
Old Feb 4th, 11, 01:08 AM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

As I noted above the "frame rails" in a Nova or Camaro is a piece of channeled 14 guage sheet metal spot welded to the trunk floor pan. If all you are doing is posing as a race car then you are OK. If you actually expect to race you should consider back having the car with a real piece of DOM thick wall 2x3 rectangular tubing tied into the front sub-frame with a set of rectangular 2x3 sub frame connectors that pass straight through the body. Run stringers out each side to the door sills and place the body on top of that (you have to notch the rear seat floor foot well to have the frame connectors pass straight through). That way when you weld in your fourteen point cage it will become a stressed member of your new replacement frame for the car. The Nova and Camaro are both Monocoque construction (aka unibody) and as such do not have an actual frame except for the bolt in front sub frame. By cutting away the trunk pan to make a mini tub you are actually cutting away some of the bodies structural support and weakening the car to make it look tougher. For a show car that is not driven much after being decorated this is fine.

The Camaro can get away with a lot bigger tire selection using the same parts underneath as the Nova because of the Camaro's outer wheel well opening being a large round shape. The Nova has a built in fender skirt design that is often lengthened and raised when the body is blown apart (you have to cut out before and after the wheel well and then weld in patch panels before adding some additional metal to the center from a donor car) for body work to create the same looking arch as before only more accommodating to larger tires (it doesn't hurt to cut off the inner fender lip and weld it with a solid bead joining the inner and outer fender well at the same time). This is how some people run full drag slicks on the back of a car that has a full tube frame and full (not mini) wheel wells. The other way is to really narrow the rear end and bring everything inside by narrowing the track (which tends to make the car a little squirrelly at high speed on the top end).

Big Dave
Old Feb 4th, 11, 03:28 PM
Tech Team
Joe

Blksilveradoss03 has a positive reputation

you can also get the wheel/tire combo you want, then get a housing made or modified to fit the wheels you have, and you can also go the route of making custom wheel wells that will accept a taller/wider tire, kinda like doing a full tub job on a race/pro street car. Thats what were doing on mine, I'm ordering my 18x11 wheels, and having moser custom build a 12 bolt with the axles to the length I need to go along with my custom wheel wells.
Old Feb 4th, 11, 06:13 PM
Tech Team
Paul

Paul W has a positive reputation

detroit speed tubs look nice. check these linkshttp://www.totalcostinvolved.com/***...20Mini_Tub.pdf http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...tub/?start=all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement