Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

Looking for solid cheap rear end...

4K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  Philip 
#1 ·
Gotta 1978 nova came with the 6 banger, has the 7.5" rear stock, i now have a 350 in it and the rear will only take so much, looking for a cheap solid replacement soon...
:thumbsup:
any web sites... links something please...

#5 ·
By good and cheap I assume you are talking about determining the pricing in your area to see if it is cheaper to buy a rebuilt 8.5 inch corporate ten bolt out of any GM X-body car from 1972-1979, or buy one rebuilt and shipped to your door from a competent rear end shop.

Big Dave

#8 ·
I have 2 of the Nova 8.5 rear ends, but neither one has been rebuilt yet. I can sell you one like it is if you need one bad. I don't know what is in them because I haven't had time to look inside them. The only rear ends that wiil bolt into your car are the '68 to '79 Nova, Omega, Apolo and Ventura. The '72 and later are the only ones that would have the 8.5 rear end. You can also use a '67 to '69 Camaro rear end. The later Camaro rear ends are not going to be a bolt in.

#10 ·
You would ask to see the rear ends from 72 - 79 X body cars.
They are:
Nova
Omega
Ventura
Apollo
and in later years the Skylark.
There is also a Cadillac X body and if you find one it will have rear disc brakes.

As far as changing it out. I just took the 7.5" out of the 77 to replace with the 8.5" posi I purchased for the car. Place the car on jackstands in front of the spring hanger. Place another set of jack stands under the rear end. Unbolt the lower shock bolt, unbolt the 4 nuts under the spring plate, remove the drive shaft, undo the hydraulic brake line, unhook the parking brake cables from the intermediate cable. Then lift one side of the rear up and over and put down under the spring, then the other side.

#19 ·
I had a 8.5 inch ten bolt with 4.56 gears in the case and an Eaton HD posi with 12 bolt axles. It held up for two years behind a ZZ502-502 and another year behind my 750 horse 582. Of course I have to caution you I never ran a tire bigger than a 255R60-15. Goodyear Eagle tires held better, and lasted longer than the same size Michelin. Slicks are however right out when running the torque numbers that I produce with my big blocks.

So long as the tire is the weakest link, you will keep both your rear end and your tire salesman happy. Be the hero of your neighborhood and the burn out king all you want, but when you get above 450 HP or about 400 ft-lbs of torque it is time to think of a stronger rear end when racing comes to mind.

Big Dave

#21 ·
Agreed: modified it works better, last longer. Just cautioning that this rear end was a compromise between the strength of the 12 bolt and the economy of scale of the old ten bolt. There is a solution for every application; but to optimize your fun, buy what you need the first time. A lot of the young guns think that the 8.5 inch is the best there is because they have never seen anything else, and hear only about the aftermarket nine inch as the only alternative.

Big Dave

#23 ·
very true i dont know much but all i see is 9" replacements for like 2,300 i dont have that kind of cash thats why im looking for a rear thats solid and can handle my lead foot...also thats why im looking for help junk yards dont have much... they all need a lot of work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.