Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

Big Block cylinder heads

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  bigdogss 
#1 ·
I have been told for what i am planning on building big block chevy for and with the parts i already have, that the edelbrock # 60559 would be good for me, but i noticed that on ebay there seems to be similar heads for almost half the price. These are pre assembled heads. I can get the edelbrock heads for $2500 including tax and shipping, and that is the cheapest i can find them (I live in Canada so shipping is more expensive) any help would be greatly appreciated. I would be willing to buy all the parts of the complete heads seperatley if that would be any cheaper.

#2 ·
Assembled heads are cheaper than building bare heads up. You buy bare heads to build them the way you want with the components you want. If all you want is a hydraulic springs with 3/8th push rods and spun welded stainless steel valves then buy the assembled heads.

The reason Edelbrock is more expensive than the "Patriot" heads you see advertised, is that they are cast in America with virgin aluminum, CNC machined here using American made parts (Manley) and all of the R&D work was done here. The quality is good enough for General Motors to use them rebranded as GMPP.

The Chinese imports are copies of heads first designed in Australia (the company went under when the Chinese started selling their product for less money) and they have little to no quality control so some heads are good and some are junk (look on the web for rants and raves, as there are as many who love them as hate them).

It is unfortunate that there are so few choices for BBC heads, and none are cheap. To make you feel better price out some AFR 315 heads or Brodix or Dart heads after having them professionally ported (one buys a Brodix or Dart head because they have more meat in them for porting work, if you are not going to port them then buy the AFR's).

Big Dave

#3 ·
the patriot heads are a good head for the money. gunnar the owner of patriot, is a member on team chevelle and will answer any question you have about them. edelbrock is a very nice product but if money is a concern then patriot is a good option. IMO

#4 ·
Edelbrocks to me don't have enogh flow or power when compared to other companies for around the same price.
Edelbrocks are nice, but I feel they just leave a lot of untapped power on the table. Unless you get the cnc victor jr heads, and at that price, you can get a nice set of brodix oval port race rites or the 305 afr's.

#6 ·
if you will use cast iron heads there is a guy in Co. that can take a set of 049 or 781 BB gm heads and make them flow almost as well as AFR heads.. he is on team chevelle also. if you are interested pm me and i will send you his number.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.