Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

71 Nova Big Block weight ??

8K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Big Dave 
#1 ·
Any of you guys have a basically stock 71 Big Block car that you have actually put on the scales and weighed ?? Dont want guesses or heresay, only real figures. Trying to help a customer out with a combination and the car is not driveable to get it weighed.

Thanks in advance,

#3 ·
Re: 71 Nove Big Block weight ??

Thanks Phil. That does help. I have a friend for whom we are probably going to build an engine and he had his car weighed and they told him it was almost 3600 lbs ! I really dont think the scales were correct. The Rat would probably add 150 - 200 lbs but I still dont think it is anywhere near that heavy. My 71 Chevelle barely weighs that !

#4 ·
that weight is actually pry very close, mine is in the 3800 range, but i have a 73 hatchback, so a little heavier, with the bigger bumpers, and the hacth and all

#5 ·
The Nova isn't that much different than the Camaro (about sixty pounds difference depending upon options) and big block Camaro's routinely tip the scales at 3800 pounds, with about 65% of the weight over the nose. Check our sister site Team Camaro's archive for weight distribution and a weight chart with options.

Big Dave

#6 ·
A friend of mine has a 71 Nova with a big block with aluminum heads.
Full interior, full 3" exhaust with tailpipes.
Among the weight removal is a fiberglass hood, lightweight wheels, manual steering, no heat/AC and racing seats. Car weighs 3275 without a driver, and we've weighed it at a few tracks.

Derek

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.