Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

1969 Nova Weight...

15K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  kettbo 
#1 · (Edited)
Had a chance to weigh my 1969 Nova SS with 400 SBC, aluminum heads/waterpump/driveshaft, TKO 600, 12 bolt axle, power front disc brakes, no options, bench seat, nitrous system, no traction helpers, no gas or people!

3214 pounds.

It was right what I expected within 20 pounds or so...with the addition of an aluminum flywheel and body work (hopefully removes 20-40 pounds of bondo!)...it will go lower.

This is 1100 pounds lighter than my brother BBC 1969 Caprice with the same driveline!

Wow!

#2 ·
But the Caprice can seat six; for dinner! As Jay Leno used to joke about his early B-body Buick's.

I know were you are comming from. I currently have two mid 80 B-body cars as they are the only thing I can fit into. One is BBC powered the other has a thumpin' SBC 406. I would love to shed a half ton of weight and nock off another second off my times.

Big Dave

#4 ·
Big Dave: The Caprice also makes nearly equal HP (although BBC torque) and runs .9 sec slower in the quarter. Kind of interesting comparison. It is a very cool car...

Which is being upgraded with AFR 315 heads and a hydraulic roller cam. Should be fun!

#5 ·
Big Dave: The Caprice also makes nearly equal HP (although BBC torque) and runs .9 sec slower in the quarter. Kind of interesting comparison. It is a very cool car...

http://www.corvetteforum.net/c4/nogo/caprice_launch.jpg

Which is being upgraded with AFR 315 heads and a hydraulic roller cam. Should be fun!
This just proves the old maxim about knocking 100 pounds of excess weight off of your car equaling 1/10th of a second off your ET.

Big Dave

#8 ·
So what did you do to get it that low and what options does it have?

I could say my 72 is under 1000 lbs with driver, but it is completely stripped of anything that bolts on sitting on a body dolly waiting for the body man to replace driver side floor boards, tail panel, passenger rocker (not rusted just dented heavily), and driver quarter (had a partial done, but I don't like how it looks in the trunk). Yea I'm starting to get a little retentive about the body on this thing! I want it perfect before I put it back together and that means re-doing a lot of work the previous owner had done to it. It isn't that the previous work doesn't look good it is just that it is not good enough for me!:yes:

#9 ·
I agree...I thought mine was fairly stripped of extraneous stuff...but still several hundred pounds than others. Admittedly, I do not have alloy wheels or skinnies, but...

#10 ·
I weiged my 69 this last weekend on the way home from the track.
Included a few tools, the slicks and jack. With me in it, 3650.

Car has glass bumpers, lexan side windows and a glass hood.
1 racing bucket. Also a full cage, full length 3.5" ehx with 4 mufflers, etc.
Rat motor, TH400 12 bolt.

So take me out, and the extra stuff, probably comes in at 3350 or so.

Best run for the day was a 10.03 @ 133

Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.