Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

66 nova swap monoleaf to multi ?

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Big Dave 
#1 ·
Looking for some advice from all you fellow nova lovers. I am in the process of installing a 9" rear in my 66 nova and would like to upgrade from the stock monoleafs at the same time. Anyone have a parts source they would recommend for switching to a multileaf setup or for a upgrade from stock monoleaf replacement? I was hoping to possibly gain some additional tire height space as an added bonus. If anyone has any experiences or suggestions related to this to share with me on this it is greatly appreciated :)
richieO66 nova

#4 ·
Springs serve two functions. It locates and controls the suspension components in a Hotchkiss system (a two leaf springs suspension has not changed much since horse and buggy days). The second function is to hold up the car. If you use CalTracs, ladder bars, or even slappers to control torque the stock springs will still hold up the car.

If you wish to stiffen the spring rate you can use split monos or go with multi leafs. The lighter the spring (mono) the less unsprung weight you have to control, which is important from the point of view of the shock absorber that has to control that mass.

For what it is worth the "best" system is a four link which relies upon coil over shocks to hold up the car.

Big Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.