Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

1996 Small Block Into a 1970 Nova SS

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Jackel 
#1 ·
I am thinking about buying a 350 roller cam long block from the YearOne Catalog (Page 106) and bolting it into my 1970 Nova SS, manual trans. According to the Tech department it uses a 1996 block. The engine comes with Vortec Heads and Vortec Intake. Will this engine bolt in without modification using my current other parts or will there be modifications that I must make? I would like to make the swap as easy as possible. I have been told by a friend that I will need a different fly wheel and a melonized distributor. Any and all help is appreciated. Jack

#3 ·
Hopefully we are talking about a gen one SBC out of a pick-up truck, and not a gen two LT-1 motor from an Impala SS. Even though the motor will drop right in and bolt up the Gen-II SBC with OptiSpark ignition requires EFI and an ODB-II computer to run. Even though the 1996 Vortec pick-up truck motor was EFI it was a TBI system which can be easily converted over to a carburetor. The Gen -II small block is reverse cooled and has to have all of the EFI stuff to run.

Big Dave

#4 ·
Steve, thanks for the reply. That is good news. Will the oil dip stick be on the same side? Big Dave, Judging from the picture in the YearOne catalog the long block comes with a knock off generic looking Edelbrock Vortec RPM Air Gap intake manifold. Knowing YearOne I don't think they would try to sell a Gen II block assenbled like that but you never know. Your information is very good to know, I had no idea the two block would look alike. How do you distinguish a Gen II from a Gen I? Anyone know about the fly wheel issue? Thanks again guys, Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.