Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

1970 SS Nova ?

4K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  joe70 
#1 ·
My uncle just bought a 1970 Nova. He thinks it is a real SS car and wants to know for sure. The car has a bench seat and auto shift on the tree. 10 bolt Rearend
The car has all the badges SS and 350 on the fender. I will list the vin and trim tag and maybe I can pass on the information to him. Thanks for this great site.

vin 114270W39767*
Cowl Tag
ST70 11427WRN3646**
TR 745 45 45
07130 G2 0957

Is this a real SS?:confused:
Thanks again.

#2 ·
Unless you can find the build sheet under one of the seats or on top of the gas tank their is no way to really know if a 70 Nova is a true SS or not. None of the options listed are SS only options other than the emblems. I say he builds it how he wants and enjoys it. Only the 72 Nova SS can be proven an SS by the Vin Number alone.

#3 ·
I welcome both you and your Uncle to the board!

I might add that in 1970 the Nova SS shipped with a 12 bolt rear end, four core radiator,3/8 inch gas line instead of a 5/16" and had multiple leaf rear springs, HD battery with a 63 Amp alternator and a few other pieces of equipment you would have to run part numbers to identify from stock. Without the paper work to verify it is just a nice Nova that he should be proud to own and fun to drive so enjoy it.

Big Dave

#5 ·
If the interior has never been out,good chance the build sheet is under the bench seat.Could also be on the top portion of the back seat. L48=SS 350 L34=402/350hp SS code L78=402/375hp SS. I found build sheets in all my Novas! Oh yeah Original 396/402 BB 1968 to 1970 Nova SS Harrison rads were ZD 3 core rads....

#6 ·
1970 build sheets (the one you find in the seats) typically don't have engine size designated....68 and 69 do...the SS conversion will be listed along with other trim and interior items like console, floor shift, etc...fuel lines were 5/16 except for L78 which had 3/8....stock alt for most application was the 37 amp unit...61 amp was std with a/c...all of the L78 cars had the 837 casting which was 37 amp...if the car is in original condition then a lot of the clues will speak for themselves.

wilma

#7 ·
I was reading on a nova spec site that from 1968-1971 there is know real way of telling a true ss unless you have the paperwork but the site did mention that even true ss novas came with a column shift, bench seat and a 10 bolt rearend.....like all the others said...you need the paperwork to know for sure....build it the way you want to...badge it whatever you want....as long as you enjoy it ...good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.