Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

1970 Nova SS?

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  WILMASBOYL78 
#1 ·
I was wondering if somebody could tell some ways to tell a True SS from Clone or If there was a link to check it out on. One more thing where would the build sheet be located on a 70 Nova and a 74 Nova hatchback.
Thanks

#2 ·
Documentation is the only true way to know 100% if the car is a true SS car on all third gens with the exception of 1972. A lot of other factors can point in that direction and increase the percentage chance of being a true SS, but in todays world a lot of tricks can be done. Even an engine block can be restamped. The big question is how critical is it to you that the car "be" true or "look" true. Also while paper work has always been good sources less than honest people have developed methods for even reproducing it. As far as a build sheet goes they are normally tucked in under the seat springs. You have to remove the seats normally to look for them.

#4 ·
If your SS Nova is an SS because it was a BBC (all BBC motors were only available with the SS option) it should be pretty conclusive as:

Big block came with multi leaf rear springs, multi leaf rear springs perches on the numbers matching 12 bolt rear, a TH400 tranny or Muncie 4 speed if manual, cross member for tranny is offset 1" to the passenger side, has BBC frame pedestals which raise motor on drivers side and shift it one inch over to the passenger side, a four core 23" wide Harrison radiator, the shroud for the fan is offset one inch and thinner than the A/C version of the SBC shroud, 63 amp alt, 3/8" ID fuel line, BBC heater core box with correct cover (water lines exit in middle not on end with no "extra holes" in the cover, BBC front springs (heavier gauge wire than SBC spring), front sway is notched to clear damper if so equipped and is 1-1/8" diameter, Z-bar for the clutch is three quarters of an inch longer than the SBC unit, and the arms are clocked differently than the SBC unit, it with have an 11" pressure plate and clutch with a 164 tooth flywheel, high torque starter motor (has the front winding 5/8" further forward of the solenoid requiring a brass spacer) with offset mounting bolts, 2-1/4" dual exhaust with resonators.

If it was a 350 things get murky because basically the only difference for the SS besides pot metal trim that can all be bought on line was a 14x7" Rally Wheel rim, HD Delco shocks (odds of still being installed today are slim) HD 2" wide rear brakes on the date code numbers matching 12 bolt rear end (disc brakes were standard after '69, but not all were powered, and even an SS option didn't require it), Sway bars on the front and rear (often removed by owners interested only in driving in straight lines), three core radiator (23" only on A/C models), Gauge Package consisting of oil, amps, temp, and tach (console was optional, not part of SS package), and SS on steering wheel or dash depending upon interior trim level (most who buy the chrome badges often overlook the interior).

If it has all of this and no documentation enjoy it but I wouldn't recommend claiming it is a "true" SS as someone some where will argue with you. My advise is enjoy it, and drive it like you stole it.

Bid Dave

#8 ·
Depends upon the year of build. The factory started off offering only three core radiators but by 1970 all were four core because of overheating warranty claims. The alternator was based upon what accessories were ordered, but the BBC usually came with A/C unless it had a solid tappet cam, as most who could afford the BBC option usually bought the deluxe interior with lots of power demanding options. Your build may vary. We are talking generalizations here not by specific VIN.

Big Dave

#9 ·
A/C was never available on the BB Novas....there were BB low horse Camaros with air...but never Novas. As for the alternator...I have never seen anything other than the 837(with deep groove pulley) on the L78 cars and the 834 unit on the L-34 cars...I guess it may have been possible to order a high output 61 amp(849) or 42 amp(842)....but I have never seen one on a factory original car.....as for the radiator....I have seen 4 core units on COPO camaros and L78 cars with 4.10 and higher gears...but we are talking 1969 model year....all my original 70 L78 cars have a 3 core radiator....maybe there was an optional 4 core...but I have never seen one. Hard to say what might have happened back in the day...GM did lots of fun stuff.....I would reserve judgement until I see a window sticker or factory order sheet with the options listed....new info is always great.

wilma

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.