Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

Basic 350 short block rebuild

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  18Deg70SS 
#1 ·
Doing a basic rings, bearings on my 350 SBC. Someone in 1992 stamped their work, crank cut the usual .010 and I think (have to measure well) .030 bore. Pistons, crank, rods all in nice shape, just worn bearings, and although they look fine I'm going to replace the rings.

Clevite 77 bearings (rod and crank) are worn but stamped .010, so I can just order new .010 bearings.

Pistons are cast marking KB 120. I know it's a Keith Black piston, but I do not see any indication of 30 over or any other marks or stamps. What does the 120 indicate?

In ordering rings for just a street driver do you suggest cast iron or Moly rings.

Have not done a basic rebuild in many years, so would appreciate suggestions. Thanks.

#3 ·
My suggestion is take the block, crank and rods to a machine shop. Have them verify they are still within tolerance. Just because the look good, doesn't mean they are acceptable for use.
The real question is why are you wanting to rebuild the short block?

#4 ·
I agree with taking the block, crank, rods and pistons to the machine shop to have them checked out.

There could be a taper in the bores, mains needing to be line honed, crank needing to be polished or turned... May cost a bit up front to get it checked out but could save from wiping out the rotating assembly later on down the road.

If you don't do that but still put new rings in, make sure you hone the bores to remove the glaze and put nice cross hatch in them for the new rings to seat to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.