Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

Leaf springs

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  JAYARTER 
#1 ·
I have a 69 Nova with a mono leaf want to put multi leaf. Do i have to change the rear end or will the multi leafs fit without any Mods? Want the car to handle iam confused with this suspension set up . trying to put pics of my nova on here no luck still trying :cool:

#2 ·
First off Barry here is a great post written by another Mod on this board named Philip. It shows you a step by step click by click if you prefer way to post pictures not only on this board but any where on the web.

http://www.novas.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1896

Second you should change out the spring pockets on your rear end when changing over from a mono-leaf spring to a multi-leaf spring. You can buy new Multi-leaf spring perches from Moser or Currie. I also recommend loosing the stock T-bolts that hold your rear end in place and replace them with U-bolts (or J-bolts if you are going to use a slapper style traction bar). Bolts are available from Competition Engineering (formerly Lakewood) or Detroit Speed Equipment (DSE) who also sell ladder bars, or slapper bars to control rear wheel wind up (ladder bars are a race only part as they will cause suspension bind unlike a four link on the street).

Big Dave

#4 ·
And a compromise that Congress could be proud of, is to replace the mono-leaf with a special three leaf multi-leaf spring (the factory used 5 leaves for high performance cars and a six leaf for racing) sold by J. C. Whitney; that purveyor of fine hot rod merchandise such as fuzzy dice, dashboard Hula girl dolls, wolf whistles and aaahhogah horns. (it is actually made by Eaton and will work as a viable alternative to a weak mono spring and fits in your mono perch)

Big Dave

#8 ·
If your mono's are sagging from age yes it will restore it to the stock ride height.

The monoleaf spring is a variable rate spring and the thinner sections of the spring get worked a lot more than the rest of the spring does.

My Nova out on the barn is sitting on the ground now because the springs collapsed with age (the arch reversed on the leaf springs first then the front coils collapsed under the extra load). The Nova has 410,000 miles on it having gone through three engines and two transmissions and seven clutches while my dad owned and drove it. I drove the car into the barn and parked it about twenty years ago when he gave it to me. It hasn't moved an inch since then (all four natural rubber Pirrelli tires have rotted in place and mice have eaten holes in the gum rubber tires because they think it is chewing gum; though the body is still rust free).

Big Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.