Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

Power Steering Box

4K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  HVAC 
#1 ·
My Son and I are building a 1972 Nova and we are having a few problems with converting from manual Gear box to a Power steering gear box. The Power box bolted up OK, but after attching the Gear box to the Rag joint
I noticed the inner part of the steering column inside the car were pushed up about 1.5 inches. I don't know if it is caught up on anything or ??. I was told the Manual box and the Power box are exactly the same physical size. Has anyone had this same problem ?

#5 ·
No, I did not compare the mounting holes, I originally turned the manual box in for a core
charge when I bought the power box at a local Auto parts store and did not even think to check. I returned the power box to the local Auto parts store because it did not fit correctly ( 4 mounting holes instead of 3 holes ) I then bought the correct power box and Rag joint from Ground up Nova hoping I would have no problems!

#6 ·
I would go back to the alignment. Something hasnt been done right i dont think. Here is a set of basic instrucions

When installing the coupler and box, first center the box in it's travel with the flat facing up, then align the shaft with the flat spot as shown, this should be in the center of the boxes travel. Then install the coupler as shown, with the head of the bolt pointing up, except push it on all the way. The clamp bolt fits in the groove on the shaft. When done this way the steering wheel will be aligned correctly. The pitman arm should be pointing exactly toward the front of the car.

G
#7 ·
also... look at the picture posted above... see the splines on the shaft, then a groove, then splines again ? the rag joint pinch bolt should sit in that relieved area where there's no splines... so do a double check and confirm it's completely installed. it may look like it's installed but still be out a little on both sides.

i see you said it's installed all the way, i'm not trying to argue or say it's not... you're looking not me, just thought i'd point that out just in case ;)

#9 ·
I worked on the Steering gearbox last weekend, I adjusted the steering column inside, everything now fits OK but the steering feels and sounds bound up. I need to check to see if the front clip is square, I will try this next. Any other suggestions??

Thanks

#16 ·
Even if he's just got it sitting on Jack Stands? I've run power steering systems on Jack Stands before without the engine running and they haven't bound up. They act just like a manual except without the power assist. Sounds pretty fishy to me. I would hook up the lines and if the engine is installed, give it a crank and get some fluid pumping through the gearbox properly and at least get it good and primed and see how it operates that way. Then when you shut it off maybe after it's primed up good it will go through the motions without the roughness. Make sure you don't have the rag fitting collar all the way down again the gear box binding against the housing or something but it should be if it's properly aligned to the groove as described above. Let us know what you find.......we're just trying to help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.