Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

Vortec Colorado I5 & Trailblazer I6

20K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  73novamc 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so I know only a single nova that went with a 4.2 Vortec I6 and then turbo . I want to do this in my daily as I find complete swaps (all wiring, accessories, tranny, ecm etc) for about $1500.
With 275hp/275ftlbs and still the good gas mileage it seems like the ideal swap. heck with a few bolt ons and a cam I dont see why they wouldnt break 300whp 300ftlbs easy. I plan on boosting mine.

ive been doin more and more research and yes I have seen that it is indeed a bit tall. One other thing is that its a front sump setup. : /
On the other hand, the colorado I5 is rear sump.
I found this on another site
Here's a little information about swapping the new 4200 Vortec inline six that I pulled from Hot Rod (August 2002)
The height of this block is 32.62", which will probably require some sort of custom hood.
Length is 32.86", making it roughly 3 inches longer than a V8. The 3 inches would probably not pose too big of a problem."
so looks like the I5 would be an easier candidate for this. Plus theres a 5 spd readily available for it.
07-08 3.7 I5 242hp/242ftlbs . Makes me wonder what letting it breath better and a cam would do to it. Anyways, here are some pics for comparison. Im off to learn more about this I5...
4.2 I6

3.7 I5

more specs on I6
From the front of the water pump pulley to the front of the bell housing 32 inches
Widest part of the engine with the power steering pump 27 inches
Top of the front of the valve cover to the bottom of the crank pulley 24 inches
Top of the front of the valve cover to the bottom of the oil pan 30 inches.

For 2006, power was increased to 291 hp (217 kW) @ 6000 rpm and torque to 277 ft·lbf (376 N·m) @ 4800 rpm with the addition of a MAF and a complete internal redesign of the engine. The Atlas LL8 was on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 2002 through 2005. Engine redline is 6300 rpm.
makes me wanna go with the I6 . I mean, pretty much 300hp from a 4.3 litter I6!!!! Technology is crazy nowdays.

Since the colorado I5 has a nice 5 spd available I may go for that and turbo. Would be nicer mpg

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a gmc canyon with a I4 and a 5 speed and with a mild load in it I only get 18mpg and it isn't very powerful IMO..

If you run the I5 and then cam it etc. I would think your MPG would go down even more so what I am trying to say is forget the I5 and install a fire breathing BBC:thumbsup::D:D

No really if you go with the I5 I would love to see pics of the build as I am sure all would;)

Please note: Shifty4 you need to just let it go and NOT go there!!!!
you know what I mean:sad:

G
#3 ·
i dunno what ya mean other than what you're referring to as a "Mild load"... :eek:

my next door neighbor has a '63 coupe that he's been mulling over stuffing an I5 into... hasn't done anything to it yet though...

#4 ·
im just not able to decide what to do . haha. I just picked up a small block from a 95 suburban (at least thats what the guy said)
I checked the block casting and its for a 87-95 motor. I still cant find the code on the block that has the date stamping!

I cant find any info on swapping these inline vortec motors in.

#5 ·
We are working on the I6 Atlas Motor Set-up to hopefully make it a better option for performance Minded Hot Rodders! We could do the same thing for the I5 Motors if there's any interest.

Manifold is 2 Piece Billet, with 45mm ITB's, the Staged injection is optional of course. Turbo option will be available as well with a Plenum Plate and Plenum Cover like the RB25DETT Below it!

Kevin

#7 ·
From my work on this project, the I4 and I5 Transmissions are a later version of the Toyota R154 or Aisan tranny's. No other Trans will bolt up. To make the Adaption you need a I4/I5 Bellhousing, to mate up a R154 from a Turbo Supra, then it takes a custom flywheel and clutch Combo!

We also had these ITB's on a 2.8ltr Z Engine, and out at Cruise we got 25mpg on several trips. The MPG should be that good or Better in a light Chassis, a Nova should be lots lighter than a Trailblazer/Envoy.

Kevin

#8 ·
Who ever said the I5 & I6 was a fuel savor told a big lie!!!

They are not!

Yea better than a 5.3!

The 4.8 V8 will deliver better mileage, torque and hp.
Also the 4.3 V6

Fuel mileage in a Trail Blazer or and GM that has them is hideous for what it is.

Why? They are not torque engines! They need RPM!
Cruise RPM on them is in the 2000-2500rpm range.

And any of them you find in the 2002 model year will be trash! They had cylinder liner issues. They could have been replaced under warranty. But if it's original! Stay away! "FACT"

JM2CENTS!
Al

#9 ·
As far as swapping in an exotic motor goes. GM is betting the farm on the EcoTec four cylinder. They have gotten over a thousand horse power out of this motor when force fed which says a lot for their bottom end and the stock head design. They think it will become the SBC of the next half century.

If you swap any motor over out of a car or truck take everything under the hood but the battery. This includes the transmission as they are all computer matched (not as in a blind date computer matched, but in they have to talk to each other, and they don't respond well to any surprises.)

Big Dave

#10 ·
Before going with either of those options I would look at the 4.3 liter V6. I have one in my 98 Blazer and it has some guts. Only thing with them is you have to keep them cool. The 4.3 liter is also a direct bolt in and if you want you can get rid of all the computer stuff and go naturally asperated. My blazer gets 20 Miles per gallon and I know it is heavier than a 1st, 2nd, or most 3rd gen Novas. Not sure once all the crash bumpers and door braces got added if the Nova is still lighter or not. Also the Vortec 4.3 liter V-6 adapts to any tranny a SBC would. So if you are looking at budget now you will not have to go in search of a special tranny. Later if you decide to take the leap into a V8 the swap should go a lot easier also.

#11 ·
I don't know what you guys are talking about in relation to the I-5 not being peppy. I have the optional tow package on my 06 Canyon ( with 4.10 gears and a posi ) and I can lauch pretty good. As far as gas mileage, I can go at least 9 days without filling up. So, I would be interested in watching someone retro fit one of these motors in a Chevy II....

#12 ·
I have an '01 4x4 Yukon with a 285hp/325tq 5.3. It has 3.73 gears and though its not a race car it sure can move the yukon along pretty good. On the higway it tops 20mpg. I've been thinking it would make a good drive train in a Nova.

#13 ·
I have an 04 colorado I5/5 speed and a 06 trailblazer I6. The colorado is a dog and falls on its face. Downshifting is a joke up a large hill, you have to drop it 2 gears to gain any speed.
My wifes trailblazer is awesome never had a problem with it. Trailered my 3400 lb camaro with it, so it makes power.
As someone mentioned earlier a 5.3 swap wouldn't be a bad idea either plenty of write ups in car craft about them. The mileage isn't bad either I get 17.5 in town and 22 on the highway in my silverado.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.