Vortec Head torque specs - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Sep 18th, 09, 02:22 PM
Tech Team
Casey

greasemonkeychef has a positive reputation
Default Vortec Head torque specs

Can anyone tell me where I could find online vortec head('96 5.7) torque specs? Also need to find a the torque sequence. Not sure if this is in the right section.

Thxs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 18th, 09, 02:30 PM
Site Moderator
~the Sedan Man~

SHIFTY4 has a positive reputation
Default Re: Vortec Head torque specs

regardless of the engine the recommended torque sequence is to generally start in the middle and work in a circular fashion.

i like doing it in a three step method...

25ft lbs on the first go around, 50 ft lbs on the second go around and 65 ft lbs on the third go around. not that it's necessary (going the three step over a two step) but in my opinion it'll slow you down, help you concentrate more and just help you stay focused.

i believe the torque on a sbc cylinder head is 65ft lbs.
SHIFTY4

Old Sep 18th, 09, 02:38 PM
Site Moderator
~the Sedan Man~

Torque sequence: -------------------- front | 13 5 2 10 | of | 17 9 1 6 14 | engine |16 12 8 4 3 7 11 15| -------------------- Step 1: torque all bolts in sequence to 22 Ft/Lbs Step 2: tighten short bolts (3,4,7,8,11,12,15 and 16) in sequence an additional 67 degrees Step 3: tighten medium and long bolts (1,2,5,6,9,10, 13,14, and 17 an additional 80 degrees recheck final torque in sequence note: apply thread sealant to all bolt threads

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...d+Bolt+Torque#

that's from the AutoZone auto part store web site... they have repair information and specifications.

not what you're looking for i'm sure. maybe someone has a repair manual that can post torque spec. in ft lbs instead of degrees of torque (which has to do with bolt stretch)
SHIFTY4

Old Sep 18th, 09, 03:50 PM
Tech Team
AL

The Big Al has a positive reputation
Send a message via AIM to The Big Al

There has been some discussion about this with several friends in machine shops, rebuild shops and what we as group came up with.

We feel the head bolts are what dictates the use of the old torque spec, or the new spec. If your using the newer bolts, do the 22lbs plus rotation. If your using the older bolts use the torque spec of the past.
Also a Tech Note: GM does not recommend the re-use of the later design bolts. to Id these bolts the bolt head has a built in washer and uses a metric size.

I have installed several sets of Vortecs with no issue on the older engines with the older bolts and the older torque spec.

NOTE: If your using a after market fastener IE: ARP Follow there instructions to the letter!

Car domain
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2845547

“The bitterness of poor quality & service remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”
Old Sep 18th, 09, 04:59 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

Like Al stated if you are using a new set of factory one use bolts go with the factory specs (and the special torque wrench that measures bolt strain and not torque by rotating a measured amount from a preliminary torque value).

But if you are using ARP aftermarket bolts use their torque chart and their lube (unless it goes into the water jacket which all bolts do in a stock block; which requires a sealer to keep coolant from coming up the bolt threads). The only thing I can add from memory is that it takes five pounds less torque for the intake manifold bolts, but the same bolt torque as always for the header bolts.

Big Dave
Old Sep 18th, 09, 05:06 PM
Tech Team
Casey

greasemonkeychef has a positive reputation

Thxs Big al and shifty i think I will just use the 3 step process and finish with the 65lbs. Thxs again
Old Sep 18th, 09, 06:13 PM
Site Moderator
~the Sedan Man~

i see different ratings depending on the engine listed. identify the engine and go with that specification, if it turns out to 65ft lbs you're OK.

a friend of mine has a super high dollar Snap-On torque wrench that shows degrees. a real nice torque wrench. unfortunately for me i'd never use one enough for it to pay for itself... so i'll stick with my clicker Craftsman wrench.
SHIFTY4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement