High Zinc, ZDDP oils - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Mar 1st, 08, 09:17 AM
Tech Team
Veno

Veno has a positive reputation
Default High Zinc, ZDDP oils

Oils suitable for breakin……..that are available. with enough Zinc and Phophorus.. OILS LISTED BY ALPHABETICAL ORDER NOT BY QUALITY or quantity of content.

Brad penn break in oil grp2
Joe Gibbs break in oil grp2
Pennzoil GT performance. All weights. grp2
Shell Rotela T 30wt, 40wt, 15W40wt. grp2
Starbright 30Wt grp2
Starbright 40Wt (pending) grp2
Valvoline VR1.. all weights grp2
I like the Rotela because of the extra dispersant's and detergents… it creates a higher viscous… and will suspend small particles I also like the StarBright because of the 1600ppm of zinc and is as cheap as Rotela

OILS suitable for street High performance use with enough Zinc and Phosphorus for flat cams and High spring rates. Up to 150lbs seat pressure.

Brad Penn all weights grp2
Castrol GT 20W50 for older cars grp??
Champion XPS 20W50 grp3 syn
Joe Gibbs oils grp??
Mobil1 15W50 gold cap and silver cap. grp4 syn
Mobil1 Turbo diesel truck grp4 syn
Mogil1 racing grp4 syn
Pennzoil GT 25W50 grp2
Royal Purple racing oils syn
Shell Rotela T 30wt, 40wt, 15W40wt. grp2
Quaker State Q horse power 10w60 only grp 3 syn
Valvoline VR1 all weights grp2

TRACK/RACE only.

Brad Penn all weights grp2
Champion XPS 20W50 grp3 syn.
Joe Gibbs oils grp??
Mobil1 racing grp4 syn
Pennzoil GT all weights grp2
Royal Purple racing oil all weights grp4 syn
Quaker State Q RACING all weights…syn
Valvoline VR1 all weights grp2
Valvoline synthetic racing all weights grp?
Valvoline conventional NSL all weights grp2

Pour on top additives to boost zinc
ZDDPLUS, GM EOS, CRANE CAMS BREAK IN, COMP CAMS BREAK IN

I have seen where people are asking this again and I just want to post this up...

I did months of research and lab testing to find these oils... here is a link

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...highlight=zddp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 28th, 08, 10:23 PM
Site Moderator
~the Sedan Man~

SHIFTY4 has a positive reputation
Default Re: High Zinc, ZDDP oils

Hey Veno, have ya heard anything on this product ???

"MOA 110"

http://www.bgprod.com/home.html

it doesn't say on the website but on the can it says:

Contains: Hydrotreated Heavy Petroleum Distillates (CAS 64742-54-7), Zinc Compounds (CAS N/A) Diphenylamine (CAS 122-39-4)
SHIFTY4

Old Mar 31st, 08, 01:46 PM
Tech Team
Veno

Hey John, and good morning....

Yeah, I have seen the B/G products... and a report on the MAO.. but for the life of me I cant recall what it was...

why? are you considering using it? and if so for what reason?

Sorry Johnny..

Here is a great Viscosity chart showing the ambient temp range for a given viscosity... Note the protection range of straight 30 weight, as compared to the 10W30... I see no reason to run any multi vis oil at all in a hotrod... and straight weight oils have far more film strength then their multi viscosity brethren.

This chart is more relevent to High temp and the protection... note the levels all exceed 100F ambient.. yet differ from the chart above...

I read where Straight 30 was good from basicaly 20F to 95f and above that 40 . but if ambient temp was above 95 for a week or so... no big deal.. 30 weight would suffice fine... the real deal is the low temps... If you dont use the engine for everyday all season driving... then multi vis oils are of no benefit ... in fact can be a problem due to the oils ability to break down be cause of all the polymers needed to build the oil back up to a higher weight..

Quoted from:
http://www.aa1car.com/library/oil_viscosity.htm

Quote:
Note: Motor oils that have a wider range viscosity rating such a 5W-30 are blended with more base stocks and additives. Because of this, it may be harder for a wider range oil to remain in grade as the miles accumulate (which is why GM does NOT recommend using 10W-40 motor oil -- they say it breaks down too quickly and does not say in grade as long as 10W-30 or 5W-30). Also, an oil with a lower winter rating like 5W-30 or 0W-30 will contain a higher percentage of thinner base stock oil. This requires more viscosity improver additive to achieve a the same high temperature rating of a 10W-30 or straight 30 oil.
Most vehicle manufacturers today specify 5W-30 or 10W-30 motor oil for year-round driving. Some also specify 5W-20. Always refer to the vehicle owners manual for specific oil viscosity recommendations, or markings on the oil filler cap or dipstick.

As a rule, overhead cam (OHC) engines typically require thinner oils such as 5W-30 or 5W-20 to speed lubrication of the overhead cam(s) and valve-train when the engine is first started. Pushrod engines, by comparison, can use either 5W-30, 10W-30 or 10W-40.

As mileage adds up and internal engine wear increases bearing clearances, it may be wise to switch to a slightly higher viscosity rating to prolong engine life, reduce noise and oil consumption. For example, if an engine originally factory-filled with 5W-30 now has 90,000 miles on it, switching to a 10W-30 oil may provide better lubrication and protection. The thicker oil will maintain the strength of the oil film in the bearings better so the engine will have more oil pressure. This will also reduce engine noise and reduced bearing fatigue (which can lead to bearing failure in high mileage engines).

For sustained high temperature, high load operation, an even heavier oil may be used in some situations. Some racing engines use 20W-50, but this would only be recommended for an engine with increased bearing clearances. Increasing the viscosity of the oil also increases drag and friction, which can sap horsepower from the crankshaft. That's why 20W-50 racing oil would not be the best choice for everyday driving or cold weather operation for most vehicles. The latest trend in racing is to run tighter bearing clearances and use thinner oils such as 5W-30 or 5W-20 to reduce friction and drag.
Old Mar 31st, 08, 02:17 PM
Site Moderator
~the Sedan Man~

SHIFTY4 has a positive reputation

my engine builder gave me a can of it and told me to use it on break-in.

it's already in the crankcase...

be Good !!!
SHIFTY4

Old Mar 31st, 08, 03:28 PM
Tech Team
Veno

Hi Johnny,,

To tell ya the truth.. I think most people have not educated them selves on oil yet. Including engine or machine shops.... 1400ppm is plenty of zinc to protect most any valve train running and on breakin.... and all the oils I posted are fine all by them selves.... oil is a scary thing these days with all the reduction of zinc talk.

Most people would rather over kill the zinc than find out what is correct and safe for them...

Because of the radical nature of my cam and the spring rates I am using. 180 seat 370 open... comp cams would not warranty my cam till I agreed to use direct edm lube lifters, and break in with Shell t or delo 400...
My can specs: duration @ .005 290/294 @.050 259/264, . lift. 608/615. solid flat tappet.

now the shell or delo has 1400 to 1500ppm then... the same oil is now called "HD" so delo HD 30# is the same as the old delo, like wise for the Shell Rotela T. just look for Rotela HD 30#

Johnny, I have over 5k miles on my motor, and use nothing but Valvoline VR1 30#
Sponsored Links
Advertisement