Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

69 Nova mono to multi leaf springs

13K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  jays64II 
#1 ·
I would like to convert my 10 bolt 8.2 mono leaf springs to multi and wonder if they will fit? I noticed there is a u-bolt and pad kit I can order for the conversion. Thanks again for the advice.
Chuck

#3 ·
You will need new spring perches in addition to the U-bolts to prevent the housing from rotating. The 8.2 inch ten bolt will not hold much power, it may not be worth the price of the new multi-leaf spring perches, and time to weld them on. An 8.5 inch corporate 10 bolt is your best buy. A Moser 12 bolt is the best solution, but not the cheapest.

Big Dave

#5 ·
Thanks to all for the info. I have three rear ends that I got with the car but how do you tell which is the 8.5 as the rear cover appears to be the same on all of them, they could be 8.2's? They were all supposed to be from 68-69 Camaro's. Do I need to post the tube numbers?
On the JC Whitney springs did they come with the u-bolts and don't quite understand about the shims needed?

#7 ·
If they are all origional 10 bolts from 68-69 Camaro then they are all 8.2" housings. These can be beefed up to handle moderate powered street cars, but the cost can be a little heavy and it becomes more cost effective to get a lower end 8.5" ten bolt that can handle some heavy duty street power and mid range track type power.

#10 ·
Do any of the 8.2's have the pads for the multileaf or do I need the 8.5?
Thanks for the offer of the 8.5 freebee, what car is it on that you're needing to get rid of?
Thanks for the wealth of info on the rear ends I'll print it.
Chuck

#13 ·
I used to live in Snowflake and then in Lakeside.

The hatchback is tenativley sold to a guy in Texas and supposed to be pickup this month. I have no money yet and have not heard back from him. I need to call him tonight and check on this. It is missing the tailights and headlamp bezels. The other is an untitled parts car and would not be worth trying to put back together.

#14 ·
the visual difference ive noticed from the 8.2-8.5 is the back pan..the 8.2 looks like a 12 bolt cover meaning it has that raised lip in the center and the 8.5 has damn near a perfectly round pan with no indentations on it....

ive owned a hand full of novas and i've personally never scene a 8.2 with multi leafs..

and i think the 4th gen nova rear end is to long, its needs to be 53" backing plate to backing plate..normally a 73-74 nova came with the 8.5" some 71-72's but rarely.

#15 ·
Here are pictures of each of the 10 bolt rear ends

71 was the last year the 8.2" ten bolt was used in the nova and the last year you could get a 12 bolt. Starting in 72 the only rear end available for the Nova was the 8.5" ten bolt and the dimensions stayed the same through the end of production. In 76 the 7.5" ten bolt became the standard rear end for the Nova, but it could still get an 8.5" depending on options chosen. But all the rear ends used in 68 to 79 X-body cars had the same dimensions and could be used as direct swap rears. Also the 67-69 F-body car rear ends had the same dimensions and are directly interchangeable. Just be careful you do not end up with the 7.5 ten bolt or one of the BOP rear ends as I know for a fact the 68 Firebird 10 bolt was a completely different beast it had C-clip eliminators and looked nothing like the standard 10 bolts and none of the parts interchange.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.