Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

73 nova ss ?????

20K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Big Dave 
#1 ·
how do you find out if a '73 nova is an ss model? is there a way to tell by the vin or trim tag? car was a v8 4 speed but most of that is gone now. are there any ss specific parts i should be looking for? thanks

G
#2 ·
NovaResource said:
1973 thru 1976 = optional package: these are the hardest years to verify. Original paperwork is really the only way. In 1973, any engine could be ordered in the Super Sport including the 250 L6. Because there was no "SS-only" engine, there is no way to verify it as real by the engine codes. Also, disc brakes were NOT part of the Super Sport package in 1973-74.
http://www.novaresource.org/rpo_Z26.htm#1973

i hope i helped,

welcome to Team Nova too, glad to have you with us :thumbsup:

JR

#3 ·
Like Shifty said only by the application of a decal as there wasn't a 1973 SS package. Since there were no SS engines after 1971 when the EPA gutted performance by dropping compression from 11:1 to 7.5:1 the six was as fast as the V-8 so the factory put in whatever economy engine they wanted and sold the decals for $500 more so you could spend money to feel like you had a fast car. Only Chrysler and the folks at Olds and Pontiac where making any power back in 1973 as the 340 wedge with the reduced valve angle was doing well and the other GM cars never had high compression relying on a long stroke to build power (even stone stock back in 1970 a Buick Skylark with 455 would put a 426 charger on the trailer every time).

Big Dave

#4 · (Edited)
Like Shifty said only by the application of a decal as there wasn't a 1973 SS package. Since there were no SS engines after 1971 when the EPA gutted performance by dropping compression from 11:1 to 7.5:1 the six was as fast as the V-8 so the factory put in whatever economy engine they wanted and sold the decals for $500 more so you could spend money to feel like you had a fast car. Only Chrysler and the folks at Olds and Pontiac where making any power back in 1973 as the 340 wedge with the reduced valve angle was doing well and the other GM cars never had high compression relying on a long stroke to build power (even stone stock back in 1970 a Buick Skylark with 455 would put a 426 charger on the trailer every time).

Big Dave

This isnt completely accurate. There was a SS (not sure if it was a "package") in 1973 I owned one (my dad bought it new and gave it to me in 1977). It had the SS emblems (not stickers) on the both fenders, middle of the grill, and on the passenger side of the trunk lid. They came with 350 (ordered that way not sure of other engine configs never saw anything other then 350 in SS's I saw), auto and manual trans, bench and bucket seats (bucket came with a console with gauge cluster), the SS could also be identified by a stripe (sticker) that ran the entire length of the car on each side (it was fat at the front and thin at the rear) which was kind of weird looking. They werent no vin identifications as far as I know and by the research I did when I got older. I think the really rare 73 configuration find would be 350, 4 spd, console, bucket seats, w/hatchback dont think there were to many of those.

#5 ·

Here is a good picture of the stripe and front emblems. I have only seen this stripe in two colors black and white.

More good info:
The 1973 model year introduced a hatchback bodystyle based on the 2-door coupe. Following a government mandate for vehicles to be fitted with front and rear bumpers capable of absorbing a low-speed impact of 5 mph (8.0 km/h), the front and rear of the Nova were restyled. The 1973 model was equipped with redesigned bumpers that were larger and stronger. 1974 models were the first to have shock-absorbing bumper mounts that made the bumpers stick out further from the body.

A modified rear side window shape was also introduced, eliminating the vent windows on both two- and four-door models. A revised rear suspension was adapted from the second generation Camaro with multi-leaf springs replacing the mono-leaf springs used on Novas since the original 1962 model. By this time, six-cylinder and V8 engines were de rigueur for American compact cars, with the 307 cu in (5.03 L) and 350 cu in (5.7 L) V8s becoming fairly common. The 1973 Nova with a six-cylinder engine or 307 cu. in.(5.0 L) V8 were among the last Chevrolets to be offered with the now-outdated two-speed Powerglide automatic transmission, which was in its final year. For 1974, it was replaced by a lightweight version of the three-speed Turbo-Hydramatic 350 already offered with the 350 cu in (5.7 L) V8, which was the only V8 offered for 1974. Not the case the 1974 was offered with the 307 v8 These Novas where also fitted with a weight sensitive relay within the front bench seat that prevented the vehicle from being started until the driver's seatbelt had been fastened. Later, a law passed by Congress banned this type of device, declaring that it infringed on a driver's freedom of choice.[6] The devices were not included in future Nova models.

1973 and 1974 introduced several new technologies to the Nova such as the adoption of steel belted radials. Also, the hatchback Nova models used a compact spare tire that included an inflator can with the vehicle. While many of these cars were sold with four-wheel drum brakes, front disk brakes were available as an extra-cost option.

A luxury-themed Nova Custom, later called the Nova LN, became part of the model lineup which included upgraded upholstery, full carpeting and more exterior trim. The SS option was still available but became more of a sporty trim package than a performance offering and now offered with any Nova engine, much like the 1963 to 1967 Nova SS.

#9 ·
my friend has a 1973 nova ss hatchback. was a 4spd car w/ buckets,but changed to auto trans. i got clutch assembly from it. been workin on it for him for 3-4 months now. and it too has ss emblems on fenders/grill as well. he wanted to tub it and i told him he was nuts! i also had a 74 nova ss that came with disc brakes and it too was a true ss. my father ordered it from factory custom. only 6 were made identical to the options he ordered. and as far as iron duke it died in 1970.

#16 ·
Welcome to the Team Boss!

Recently is a relative term here as this post is over eight years old.

Our lead moderator (Philip) used to have a mold of every SS grill and cast them for members. He need room in his garage so he gave away the molds and sold off several of the extra grills he had. He has gone back to his first love of restoring Chevelles now and has not been seen on this board in a while (making me the oldest Mod here I guess). I can not remember who he gave those molds to; as he did it years ago, and that group that was active years ago have all passed for the most part.

Problem with obtaining experience is when you have enough to know what you are doing you usually die of old age.

Big Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.