Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

Whats the Best Disc Brake Conversion Kit?

9K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  rennat_2006 
#1 ·
My 71 Nova has non power drums all around with a nasty 327 under the hood, This isnt a good combination :noway:

Ive been looking around online and have seen alot of front disc brake conversion kits out there. Im wondering if other members can chime in with what kit they used and what they thought about it.

Im leary of which kit i go with for the sake of safety utmost then for the sake of finding replacement parts later on down the road. Say it needs brake pads in 10 years i would like to be able to go to the local oreilly's down the street and get a set for it not have to find the company and order a set through them.

Thanks guys

#3 ·
But what does the kit consist of? Is it factory disc brake nova calipers and pads?

#4 ·
Disc brakes were available on your car as an option when new. Most of the single piston OEM style floating caliper disc brake conversions are just using replacement GM parts. You can buy everything but the backing plate (aka splash shield) new from GM at your local Chevrolet parts counter.

As you known all of these Chevrolet parts are also available at your corner auto parts store with two or three prices for every part depending upon the quality of the part you want to buy. I would avoid anything that arrives by boat (from India, Pakistan, Malassia or China) as they have to add the cost of shipping into their high quality parts to compete against the other bottom feeders pricing. Hecho en Mexico is as close as you will get to made in USA or Made in Canada were most of the original GM vendors were when your car was new.

Big Dave

#5 ·
Im leary of which kit i go with for the sake of safety utmost then for the sake of finding replacement parts later on down the road. Say it needs brake pads in 10 years i would like to be able to go to the local oreilly's down the street and get a set for it not have to find the company and order a set through them.

Thanks guys
tanner for that reason it is best to use GM parts. I converted to 12" front brakes and 10.5" rear disc using all GM parts. That makes it easy to find replacement parts where ever i may be at the time.

This link has a parts list and procedure to modify your drum spindles for the GM disc upgrade.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115940

Derek also showed a rear disc conversion, but I was able to do it much cheaper with junk yard finds.

#6 ·
Great thanks alot guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.