Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

74 Nova Compatible Front Clip

11K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  mrmikev1 
#1 ·
Newbie here and tried to research back but did not find anything. I would like to know what cars are compatible with the 74 Nova front clip. Mine is stock with drum brakes, straight 6, no power steering. I want something that will have the disc brakes, power steering hardware and v8 mounts. I am hoping to find some cheap junker (non-desirable that has what fits) that has the components I need. I am new at this, was told it could be done but don't know how to find the answer. Any help would be great, thanks in advance!

#3 ·
There are also custom hydraformed front sub-frames designed to take any motor and utelize unequal length A-arms and disc brakes with Corvette sized rotors and powered rack and pinion steering with fully adjustable coil over shocks and adjustable front sway bars (for a bit more than you'd pay for a junk yard part).

Big Dave

#4 ·
Philip/Big Dave - thanks for the replies. It seems that the Camaro and Nova years may be harder to come by and pricier as they are the more desirable years. I was told there are other Chevy/GM (75 or later Caprice, Monte Carlo, etc) cars that are not 'desirable' that have a compatible front clip, is that wrong?

Philip, you also state that they could be added to my subframe - would that require welding or is it bolt on stuff? I am trying my best to keep this all bolt on stuff as welding is not my strong suit and would have to be tasked out to someone.

Thanks again for the help.

#5 ·
Philip/Big Dave - thanks for the replies. It seems that the Camaro and Nova years may be harder to come by and pricier as they are the more desirable years. I was told there are other Chevy/GM (75 or later Caprice, Monte Carlo, etc) cars that are not 'desirable' that have a compatible front clip, is that wrong?

Philip, you also state that they could be added to my subframe - would that require welding or is it bolt on stuff? I am trying my best to keep this all bolt on stuff as welding is not my strong suit and would have to be tasked out to someone.

Thanks again for the help.

Your 1974 has a modified 1968-'74 front sub-frame. The modifications to the sub-framer where made to mount your big bumpers, and to bolt the motor down so that it can not break a motor mount. Both of these modifications occurred in the 1973 model year and where mandated by federal law. Your front end is a rear steer design. That is, the tie bar and the steering gear box are behind the front spindle.

On 1975-'79 Novas they used the 1970-'81 second generation Camaro front sub-frame that fixed the problems Camaro owners had discovered in racing the same front end you have (severe bump steer, and caster/camber problems associated with body lean). The fourth Gen Novas all have front steer so the steering gear box is out of the way of installing a big block, and the track is wider with better steering geometry achieved by redesigning the A-arms.

Any 1968-'74 Nova front end can be a donor for parts. I suggest you read this article from our sister site

http://www.camaros.net/techref/articles/ftecref012.html

and check out David Pozi Racing’s web page linked to Team Camaro for more information.

For disc brakes parts you can use:

Suitable Donor Vehicles
  • 1969-1974 Nova
  • 1973-1974 Omega
  • 1971-1974 Ventura II
  • 1973-1974 Apollo
  • 1969 Camaro
  • 1969 Firebird
  • 1969-1972 Chevelle
  • 1969-1972 LeMans
  • 1969-1972 Cutlass
  • 1969-1972 Regal
The donor cars would be 1969-'72 GM A-body and X-body cars that have two-piece spindle assemblies. These spindles have a removable steering arm. These are easily distinguished from the later one-piece spindle design.
Donor Parts Required
  • Master cylinder
  • Proportioning valve
  • Proportioning valve bracket
  • Short steel lines from m/c to prop. valve
  • **The line fittings in the prop. valve**
  • Spindles
  • Calipers
  • Rotors
  • Backing plate
  • Steering arms
Big Dave

#6 ·
It might be easier for you to find the parts you want and put them in. Your subframe should currently have the holes for a SBC mount. You can find old camaros with power steering and swap that out as well. Or, buy a new steering box. You can get disc brake spindles from the junkyard also from any of the cars listed by big dave and make the swap over also.

I think that would be a lot less labor-intensive...

#7 ·
Thanks again to the three of you, you have given me plenty to chew on. I will digest this and start tearing into things a bit. If I run into problems you will hear from me again (probably even if I don't). This is a great site and I will be in touch. My plan is to look into getting parts from the cars Big Dave listed (I liked the acronym by the way :D)

Thanks again, I will be back...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.