Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

My 1970 Nova Build

11K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  JeremyR 
#1 ·
I recently got interested in my Nova. My dad bought the car in 1977. He has been hanging on to the car for me. the car is mostly still all origianl minus the motor he swapped out in 77. He painted the car black, but it was originally Sunflower Yellow with Black vinyl top. Which it will be going back to that color. I plan on keeping it mostly original looking with some new upgrades. Nothing to crazy though, just stuf to make it it a little more enjoyable to drive.

See less See more
#3 ·
I found out Thursday that the car had like 5 paint jobs worth of paint on it. So we are now stripping the whole car. I got sick New Years Eve, so I haven't done anything in a few days. Still haven't found any serious rust. just a little in the hood. I have all ready welded that up and treated it with "rust-mort"

#5 ·
Well Jeremy looks like the past owners were concerned about protecting the car from the elements and in how it looked instead of in how fast it can go, like a lot of the cars that were stripped of protective body sealer and undercoatings to lighten the car. Looks like you lucked out even though you will have more sanding to do there should be less body work to repair rust damage.

Big Dave

#6 ·
Yea Big Dave my dad has had the car since 77 and undercoated the crap out of everything. Its been a pain to get off, but have not found any serious rust.

I got the body and most of frontclip to bare metal. Just 1 fender and the doors and it's ready for some epoxy primer.

#7 ·
Here are some updates on my build. Finally got the car to bare metal. Found a little rust in the quarters and had to order a patch panel.

This is the pile of paint I stripped of my car.

Finally down to bare metal

New valve cover after 3 hours of sanding and polishing.

#12 ·
I have not posted in a while. With work and scholl I hve not had much time to work on my Nova. This week is spring break and I took a week off from work. So I got the car in primer and put the doors and trunklid back on. Now I am going to start block sanding.

Prime Time

Now time to start block sanding.

#13 · (Edited)
Alright I have been away for awhile. Started back on my car after a long break due to very busy schedule. I bought an old motorcycle two years ago and it turned out to be more work than I had planned. I spent most of last summer restoring and getting it road worthy. I also started going back to school and haven't had much time. I have a break for the summer and I am going to try my hardest to get it finished up. I will be posting some pics and the progress as I go. My goal is to have it back in one piece by the end of July.

#18 ·
I got some of the parts painted satin black and ready to store until time to bolt back together. Core support, heater box and a bunch of misc. parts.

I got the frame out and sent to get sandblasted

Here is a peak of the wheels I got for the car. Boss 338 18x8 not the most original choice but I really like this style wheel and plus I got a heck of a deal on them

#19 ·
Jeremy ...You are doing a very nice job ,and I wish you well with your goal of July.
Please keep us posted with pictures...
Being young you have the energy and drive an old guy like me ran out of years ago ..
I did a 68 Corvette convert. 20 yrs ago, in 1 yr ... I could never even come close to that today ,maybe 3 yrs ,I could pull it off ...
Again very nice ,keep the pace up and pictures too.

#20 ·
Thanks, Yea I hope to have it painted and back in one piece by the first of August. It is going to be a lot of work but I am enjoying it. Probably be the last thing I build for a few years. I finished block sanding the car yesterday and sprayed the final coat of primer. Going to clean the undercarriage next week and paint it. I will post pics as I go.

#21 ·
Alright got a few updates on the car. Got the frame and all the front suspension painted satin black. Also got the undercarriage painted a low gloss black. Didn't get the underside as smooth as I would have liked, but it is clean and I plan on driving the car a lot. Took the doors and trunk lid off and started wet sanding all the jambs and firewall. Hoping to have some paint on the car by the end of the week. I can't wait to get the frame back under the car and start putting it back together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.