Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

1966 - 1974 Bucket Seats, Tracks & Floor Mounts

82K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  Ter1269 
#1 ·
1966 - 1974 Bucket Seats, Tracks & Floor Mounts

It seems there are a lot of requests for correct buckets seats for Novas.

I did a little research a couple of years ago and got some info on the buckets seats from 1966 to 1974 Novas.

Since I can not put all the pictures into one post, I will divide this into three posts.
1. seats
2. tracks
3. mounts

1966 to 1974 Bucket Seats
  • This is a link to brochures on 1962 to 1979 Novas, there are several pictures of bucket seats for you to see the different patterns used over the years. http://www.classicnovas.net/brochure/index.htm
  • The following is what I think I know for sure at this time. I believe the bucket seat frame is the same for all 'A' body cars. The tracks, headrest and seat back locks will determine years.

”I didn't see it mentioned here, But the 66 and 67 was the only years that the back and bottom covers were metal. 68 they went to plastic. And I have a set of green 66's that the ribbon trim around the base covers was the interior color (aqua). Never saw that in the later years, they were all chrome”
66 buckets - no headrest, headrests were an option (info from DesertDeuce), backs do not lock.

67 buckets - no headrest, imagine since headrest were an option in ’66, probably same with ’67, backs lock with lock buttons on the side.

68 buckets - no headrest, Headrests were an option. Backs lock with buttons on side, the lock button is not in the same place as 67 and the backs are a little different due to the buttons and the way they connect on the back of the seat.

69 to 71 - headrest installed, lock buttons in the middle of the back of the seat back.

72 to 74 high back buckets
The only difference I've seen in the high backs are the button
locations and I can not tell which is which.
I think these are 74's

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: 1966 - 1974 Bucket Seats, Tracks & Floor Mount

Tracks - probably the biggest problem for everyone is with the correct tracks.

66 & 67 tracks - same tracks, both are same height, the seat will sit level if sitting on the ground.

"I checked the measurements on the 66 buckets
length of tracks 15 1/2" tip to tip
Front height 2 1/8"
Rear height 1 1/2"
JR"

“Don't think this was posted but 66 tracks have open "TOES" where as 67 is closed. Another words... the front holes that bolt to the floor are open. As they can slide on the stud. 67 are closed in the front. You have to put the track OVER the stud to bolt the front track to the floor.

66 tracks... Passenger side I think. They are 14" 1/2 from center of mounting holes.

Dave
67 Nova Boy”

66 tracks

67 tracks

68 to 71 - same tracks, different heights, seat will lean towards the door side due to the inside tracks being higher.

"My car is a 68 with bucket seats the brackets were never removed so I hope these pictures will help everyone with questions on the 68-71 bucket seat tracks. The track with the lever measures 14 inches ctc and the inner track measures 14.5 inches ctc. 12 inches between them.
Measured the height for you. Inside track front measures 3.5 inches high the back measures 3 inches. Outside track the one with the handle front measures 3 inches and the back measures 2.5 inches. This is from the bottom of the mounting bracket to the top of the track hope this helps.
Jason 68 L78"

Here's my measurements

Here's the measurements for the height of each mount.
Measurements are from the brace the track bolts to the bottom of the track mount. pics show them upside down.
Inside track front mount 3-1/2"
Inside track back mount 2-3/4"
Outside track front mount 2-5/8"
Outside track rear mount 2-1/2

72 to 74 - tracks same height, seat will sit level.

I have no other info or pictures on tracks for these years.

#30 ·

Tracks - probably the biggest problem for everyone is with the correct tracks.

66 & 67 tracks - same tracks, both are same height, the seat will sit level if sitting on the ground.

"I checked the measurements on the 66 buckets
length of tracks 15 1/2" tip to tip
Front height 2 1/8"
Rear height 1 1/2"
JR"

“Don't think this was posted but 66 tracks have open "TOES" where as 67 is closed. Another words... the front holes that bolt to the floor are open. As they can slide on the stud. 67 are closed in the front. You have to put the track OVER the stud to bolt the front track to the floor.

66 tracks... Passenger side I think. They are 14" 1/2 from center of mounting holes.

Dave
67 Nova Boy”

66 tracks

67 tracks

68 to 71 - same tracks, different heights, seat will lean towards the door side due to the inside tracks being higher.

"My car is a 68 with bucket seats the brackets were never removed so I hope these pictures will help everyone with questions on the 68-71 bucket seat tracks. The track with the lever measures 14 inches ctc and the inner track measures 14.5 inches ctc. 12 inches between them.
Measured the height for you. Inside track front measures 3.5 inches high the back measures 3 inches. Outside track the one with the handle front measures 3 inches and the back measures 2.5 inches. This is from the bottom of the mounting bracket to the top of the track hope this helps.
Jason 68 L78"

Here's my measurements

Here's the measurements for the height of each mount.
Measurements are from the brace the track bolts to the bottom of the track mount. pics show them upside down.
Inside track front mount 3-1/2"
Inside track back mount 2-3/4"
Outside track front mount 2-5/8"
Outside track rear mount 2-1/2

72 to 74 - tracks same height, seat will sit level.

I have no other info or pictures on tracks for these years.
Jason the pictures don't show anymore of the location of your bucket seat mounts could you repost please
Thank you
Ter1269. 68 nova

#3 ·

Seat mounts

They are all welded into place on the floorboards and 72 and up are bolted as well on the outside mounts.

66 floor pan with mounts

68 mounts consist of four pads on floorboards for each seat.
68 Nova mounts were 4 pads on each side as shown in this pic from jason 68 L78

69 to 71 mounts, two pads on outside tracks and the middle mounts go over the trans hump with bolts on both sides.

72 to 74 almost identical to 69 to 71 with the exception of the bolt placement in the mount.
pic courtesy of 2slow72

This is a good diagram of placement of mounts supplied by NovaShopNet
http://www.novashop.net/info/console.htm

#4 ·

I want to thank others that have provided info for this thread.
onequiknova
JR
67 Nova Boy
Jason 68 L78
DesertDeuce
2slow72

If there are others, thank you and I apologize for not remembering.

:hurray: :hurray:

#5 ·

Thanks for all your hard work Dan. This info should be a help to anyone replacing floors or converting to buckets. I will be transfering buckets from a 76 parts car to my 77. Mind if I post the photos here to document the 75 - 79 bucket seat info?

#8 ·

I am new to Novas, but have been part of other forums on chevys. I just wanted to say thanks. This is the most indepth research on seats for my 66 Nova that I have seen as of yet. I appreciate being able to glean from someone who has already "done it." Thanks!

Now for the question. My 66 Nova post car needs front bucket seats. I don't care if it is original or not. I just left the upholstery shop and they told me my front seats were not worth the repair. They think they came out of an old camaro. So I am off to the junk yard to harvest front seats out of something so that the rod shop can re-upholster them. Can you advise me what to look for? I'm looking for comfort at my age (52).

#11 ·

71ss nice job!! is this all you have to do during the day? That's some prety intense research! Would you by any chance, have a picture or two on the original 4 speed hump for my 67..? I think the 66 67 pan you have shown is a auto hump. Am I correct?
I really have no idea what the floor pan is supposed to look like. Mine is all stripped out.

#12 ·

Hi everyone, need help with my project. I'm putting bucket seats in my 69 nova and it originally had bench seats. I bought the 4 piece bracket set from classic industries and I'm not sure exactly what bracket goes where on the floor pan and I'd like to be sure before I start welding. I'd appreciate any help I could get. Thanks!

#13 ·

You were saying that 72-74 tracks are all the same, cause one of the restoration companies told me 72 was 1 year only and 73 and74 were the same. was 73 and 74 seats the same shape as 72? thanks for any advice you can give me.

#14 ·

It's been a couple of years since I did this research, so I looked back over my info. I never measured the tracks on these years but the reason I say they are the same as the mounts are the same. Maybe some folks with these years can measure theirs and post that info.
The buckets seats them selves are the same.

#16 ·

Great information! I have a 67 Nova SS but the buckets went missing a couple of decades ago. I have a set of old frames that I will re-upholster, but I can't find any seat tracks. I see that DII (Dynacorn) has bench seat track assemblies (1632J). What are the chances that a couple sets of these would work on the buckets?

#18 ·

It's neat to see how many people want to switch from bench to bucket seats. My husband and I have been looking for bucket seats for our 76 nova. Which came originally with buckets. Problem is, is that it's a 4 door. Which in turn means, that this model came in bench seats mostly. So the factor to find a replacement that will fit has been slim to none. Although! Chevy Malibu seats fit great!!!! all that had to be done was take off the brackets and fit them to the seats. Here are a few that will fit nova's no matter the year, as long as you have the right brackets!!![/B] Camaro, Chevelle, GTO and some Volvo.
Hope this will help, cause as I can see buckets are still hard to come by. TIP: If you come across original nova seats, whatever the condition.... Their worth getting and restoring. You can find the foam on Ebay and the springs. However the Frame it self is a rare commodity.

#19 ·

Melissa the brackets and tracks I used also were removed from a 4 door Nova Concours. The seats were different from the 2 door models as they did not fold to allow rear seat entry. The console was also used but modified for a manual transmission.

the parts car on the left was dirty and worn but the metal parts were all good and the console cleaned up nice with some scrubbing and a coat of paint. Console shown installed with 1995 Firebird seats in my 77 Nova.

#20 ·

I used bench seat tracks from 2 Novas to mount seats I have in my '67 4-door.

You have to "finagle" with the center rail to level the seat (spacers), otherwise the only problem is that the release lever on the passenger's side seat will end-up on the INSIDE! (You also need to make shorter wires from the release lever to the rail on other side, but that is pretty easy...)

#22 ·

Hello all,..It's been a while since I last posted on here. Project was on hold for a little while, but i'm starting on it again. I have a question. I'm putting bucket seats in my 72 which had bench seats. The mounting brackets i'm looking to get are the 8 piece brackets. Now, they say they're for 69-71, but when you look at the floor pans when replacing a floor pan they say that they are for 68-74. Are they all the same? Will these brackets fit on my 72? http://www.ebay.com/itm/390404587968?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

#25 ·

We now offer the correct 69-71 bucket seat brackets. Posts like this are very helpful. Good job guys!
http://www.ss396.com/nova/IBX-X1.html

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.