Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

'69 Nova rear tire/rim backspacing?

33K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  brian oneil 
#1 ·
I would like to put 275-60-15's on the rear but unsure of the proper rim backspacing or to use 15x7 or 15x8. I'd rather not cut or roll the lip unless necessary. Thanks for any advice.
Chuck

G
#2 ·
Chuck, the 2QuickNova's tire fitment page lists numerous applications that might help. http://www.2quicknovas.com/6874.html the listings are supplied by the car owners, some have better descriptions than others but they state if they have rubbing issues, what backspacing they used, rolled or non rolled lips etc... may not be the encyclopedia of tire fitment sites but it's by far the best out there... read & look at the images... maybe it'll be of assistance to ya.

JR

#4 ·
I have the very tire now.

been mounted on two different rims.

15x8 with a min of 5 inch backspace. (it will be close to the lip.

15x8 with 5.5 inch Back space is a perfect fit. This does limit wheel availability.

The wheels by Summit and Weld Racing will work.
Warning, the 15x8 5.5 BS wheel by Greg Weld, will not clear Disc brakes. (Greg Weld is different than Weld racing)

This is the same tire 275/60-15 Cooper Cobra Tires.

Al

#5 ·
hey big Al, i have the same tire and wheel bs 5.5 mine rub on the inner wheel well have you mini tubed it? i have a split mono with an 1.5" drop looks similar to your ride height, but can't turn left to save my life with out rubbing the pas. side driver side rubbs also not as bad I have a 1/4" clearance on the pas side and a little more on driver side. what shocks do you have, and do you have a sway bar?:confused:

#7 ·
as far as i know it hasnt, undernieth is pretty straight no wrinkles I just realized that i PM'd you once and you told me it was a tight fit. as far as rear end not being centered from listening to other people i assumed this was normal driver side is probably 3/16 and passenger is 1/4 so probably just the point i measured from. thanks for info Big Al

#11 ·
#13 · (Edited)
15x8 rim with a 4.5 back space leaves 3.5'' to the front
15x7 rim with a 4 inch bs leaves a 3'' to the front.
moved in 1/2 inch, plus makes the tire have a smaller section width.

Do you think the section width of the tire is the same with the smaller rim?????

#15 ·
Big Al, Thanks. That's a pretty comprehensive summary. I did come across a set of
15x7's with 4.25 bs, and that sounds like it should work fine. My next question is I'm running stock exhaust and tailpipes, it appears that the left TP extends into the wheelwell. Has anybody encountered clearance issues wuth the tailpipes?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.