Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

74 hatchback interior

5K views 29 replies 4 participants last post by  elkyoned 
#1 ·
I bought a 74 Nova hatchback. All of the interior parts were in a pile in the hatch area. Mostly unusable. There are a bunch of sheet metal pieces. I'm assuming they go to the hatch area. Does anyone have a diagram of where these parts go? Thanks.

#2 ·
I may someplace, but I don't have time to really search for it through everything I have before I leave on a job to Slovenia. I'll have some of my CD's with me and I will look through them and see if any of them have anything while I'm there. If I find something and get lucky enough to have an internet connection at the hotel I'll see if I can get it online for you, but it will be a couple of days at least and if it waits till I get back then probably a month.

#5 ·
I have taken pictures and downloaded them to my computer but am unable to transfer them to this site. I have tried the "manage attachment" button but have had no luck. Any suggestions? Am going to a car show today and might see some Novas I can check out. Thanks for the reply.

#7 ·
Here is what I could dig up on my CD's.

The first one says it is for the Vega, but I remember the 74 SOA Hatchback I parted out was very similar to this.

And here is the other one I found.

I hope this helps you a little!:)

#8 ·
Thank you so much David and Philip for responding. You have given me extremely valuable information. Today has been a great day for me. On top of receiving your valuable information I started up the engine on my 74 for the first time after the previous owner left it sitting for 9 years. So far so good. Thanks again.

#9 ·
What size engine is it and how did it sound? The AZ climate is not to harsh on engines that sit. I have fired some up after 10 years or more and they ran well. If your Nova engine is a V8 and original there are some items that routinely need replacing. Besides the distributor cap, points, rotor, plugs and wires if it has over 90k miles on it it may be due for a timing chain and gear replacement. The factory cam gear is pot metal with nylon coated teeth and will start to fall apart at about that mileage.
The 400 sb I built for my Nova was originaly in a 72 Impala. I purchased the whole car for the engine. It had sat for about 12 years but the owner started it up prior to my buying it. It ran rough and after all new tune up parts it still wouldn't run smooth. During tear down I discovered the cam gear had lost most of the nylon covering and the chain was just flopping around. The rebuilt engine is soon to be installed in my 77 after sitting on the engine stand for 9 years. Below is a picture of my son helping to build the the engine, he is going to graduate high school in May. Time flys, especially as I get older.

#10 ·
You are right about time flying. I was going to wait until I retired in a few years to buy a car but decided I better do it now so I can still get up after laying under it. I may have a gem in the rough. The engine was rebuilt just before being stored. It is a 350 .030 over, Hooker headers and flowmasters, forged TRW pistons and crank kit, Edelbrock performer cam,intake,carb, and gear drive, HEI ignition with Accel wires,large recore rad,new alt,starter,power steering pump,rebuilt TH-350 trans. with kit,Hurst floor shifter,new tires(9 years old) and American Polished alum. rims,polyurethane bushings,new front and rear springs and shocks. It even has a removable steering wheel. Prior to starting it I changed the oil and filter,pulled the plugs and squirted oil in the cyls.,bought a battery,replaced the fuel hose in the engine compartment,cranked it over to build up oil pressure,replaced the plugs and let 'er fly. As soon as the carb filled with fuel it started right up.I kept shutting it off and checking for leaks and after a few minutes it was running smooth and sounding good.It is not as radical as I thought it would be.Maybe you can answer another question for me. I ran the fuel pump inlet into a gas can.Since the car has sat for 9 years what should I do about the gas tank and steel line? My next step is to make sure the brake system is working properly before I try a street run. Thanks for the information. You may have seen this car on e-bay a couple of weeks ago.

#11 ·
Rick that sounds like a great car. A lot of money has been spent on the engine.
Siphon as much of the old fuel out as you can and then fill it with fresh.Install a fuel filter on the incoming line either at the pump or under the car. There is a section of rubber hose under the passenger side just aft of the sub frame that is easy to get to.You cancheck the fuel filter to see if you are picking up any rust or debris. If you find you need a tank I have an extra one you can have for free.
We are the same age if that number in your user name is your age.

#12 ·
You got the age right. There is an inline fuel filter after the pump I haven't changed yet. I will change it and do the tank. After I run it for a while do I cut open the filter and check for rust? I was planning on dropping the tank to do a visual check and empty any remaining fuel and replace the rest of the rubber line. I hope I don't have to take you up on the tank but if I do I would gladly pay for it. I thought there might be something that I could slosh around inside the tank to clean or coat it. The previous owner gave me $5000 in receipts for the car.

#13 ·
If there is a lot of rust/junk in the tank when you remove the filter it will run out the inlet end. If nothing comes out you may want to cut it open and look. Once your tank starts to rust the best thing to do is to replace it. New tanks are available. I have 2 from cars I parted out plus the one in the car I haven't checked yet.

If you pull the tank you might find a build sheet. Some Novas have had them there.

#16 ·
#17 ·
Pulled the tank. Looks clean inside, no built sheet. Noticed some seepage where the filler attaches to the tank. Probably happened as I took out the tank. Can I use something like JB Weld to seal it? Good tip on placement of fuel filter under passenger side. Mine is under hood but I will relocate it.

#19 ·
It's from the filler neck. When I lowered the tank it was half full and when I tilted it toward the filler it seeped out. I emptied the tank, checked for rust, cleaned the filler neck joint and put some JB Wweld on it. Removed the sending unit because it wasn't working and got it to work, corroded connections. Got all the lights working except the headlights, again corroded connections. I got 10 gallons of 9 year old gas from the tank. Since it's hard to dispose of can I mix it 50-50 with new gas and use it?

#21 ·
Got the tank back in, relocated the filter under the passenger door. Next is checking out the brakes. New questions : The battery was relocated to the back seat area by previous owner to make room for a radiator overflow. I would like to move it back. At some recent car shows I see guys that put the overflow on the other side of the radiator and run the tube across the top of the support. What are your thoughts on that. Also, I have e-mailed Hagerty and Heacock to see if I qualify for their classic car insurance. What do you guys do to register a car with no smog equipment?
Rick

#22 ·
If you can find a 75 - 79 overflow tank it sits in the fender behind the core support on the passenger side.
If your car is not going to be a daily driver put Historic plates on it and insure thru Hagerty and it will be exempted from emissions testing compliments of the new law in effect since May.

#26 ·
Thanks for the photos. Is there still room for the battery using that container? Thanks for the input on the value of the car. I was going on what I paid for it. I have seen ads for rollers for $3500 and up. I guess I got a smokin' deal. I finally got it to move on its own power today. Had to add 3 quarts of atf and it still isn't showing on the stick.
Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.