wire to starter [Archive] - Nova Tech

: wire to starter

tdawglp
Mar 1st, 09, 10:12 PM
does anybody know which wire goes to the switch bolt on the solenoid/3 choices/purple 14 ga/brown18ga/black16 ga.:confused:

onovakind67
Mar 1st, 09, 10:33 PM
Purple is the normal color of the solenoid control wire.

tdawglp
Mar 1st, 09, 10:39 PM
i tryed to plug it in and turn the key and got nothing (does it have a fuse?)but the fuse box letters are smeared so i need to try and find a pic of another fusebox

onovakind67
Mar 1st, 09, 11:25 PM
It could have a fuse, and it also could have some switches in series with it, like the neutral safety switch.

backyard71nova
Mar 2nd, 09, 10:20 PM
on my 70, purple goes to the small post and you just run your hot lead from your battery to the big post...that worked for me

tdawglp
Mar 2nd, 09, 10:37 PM
see that looks right but there somewhere between the starter and the switch thats not getting a connection/the wiring harness came off of a manual car so i think that would cancel the need of a neutral switch

Philip
Mar 2nd, 09, 11:29 PM
On your car there would have been a clutch safety switch that prevents the starter from engaging unless the clutch pedal is depressed. Look under the dash for 2 purple wires in a plug that are either hooked to a broken switch are are just hanging.

tdawglp
Mar 2nd, 09, 11:36 PM
i remember seeing that wire yesterday it hanging in my face while i was installing the fuse box thank all of ya:thumbsup:

Philip
Mar 2nd, 09, 11:52 PM
Connect the 2 purple wires together and it should allow power to flow to the soleniod.

tdawglp
Mar 2nd, 09, 11:58 PM
10-4

tdawglp
Mar 3rd, 09, 02:54 PM
ok,i hooked the 2 purple wires together and i still got nothin

SHIFTY4
Mar 3rd, 09, 02:57 PM
i have a wiring schematic for your car if you need a copy... go to www.JollyRodder.com and check the electrical section, there's a link for '62-'79 wiring schematics.

tdawglp
Mar 3rd, 09, 03:46 PM
how do i make a copy of the diagram on webshots i made an account

SHIFTY4
Mar 3rd, 09, 03:52 PM
some weird glitch in webshots...they recently changed the format so you have to be a "friend" to right click-save images. i'm presently working on an album that'll be hosted directly at & by the JollyRodder site so that won't be an issue anymore.

on my profile at webshots (freewayflier) send/fill out the "friend" request and i'll OK it as soon as i get it.

SHIFTY4
Mar 3rd, 09, 03:57 PM
what year do you need ?

SHIFTY4
Mar 3rd, 09, 04:05 PM
here, these are really big... right click and save to your files...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/64Flyer/1972-1nova.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/64Flyer/1972-2nova.jpg

tdawglp
Mar 3rd, 09, 04:09 PM
1972 nova

SHIFTY4
Mar 3rd, 09, 04:42 PM
yeah i checked your profile before i posted the images ;)

tdawglp
Mar 3rd, 09, 06:36 PM
i think the wiring might be off a 1973 nova can u get me them diagrams

SHIFTY4
Mar 3rd, 09, 06:46 PM
you should be able to view the album and right-click/save.

Philip
Mar 3rd, 09, 07:55 PM
Thomas one of the purple wires under the dash should have battery voltage when you turn the ignition switch to start. If not the problem is from that point back to the ignition switch on the lower part of the steering column. If you do have battery voltage on one wire at the point then check to see if it is getting to the solenoid through the other wire; if not the problem will be in the wire from there to the starter solenoid. If you have voltage all the way to the solenoid the problem is either the solenoid or the starter. Try and let us know what you find.

tdawglp
Mar 4th, 09, 07:33 AM
i have to go to school i can check friday night first thing when i get home

Philip
Mar 4th, 09, 02:50 PM
School is a good thing, I am 60 and my employer still sends me to class to learn new things, I keep telling them it is a waste of money to train me, instead pay me to retire early :)

Thomas we will be here to help when you are ready.

tdawglp
Mar 4th, 09, 07:23 PM
i hear ya/i got a chance to go outside and from the purple wire from the starter to the switchtheres no power and thought there might be a short/so i got some wire and hooked it from the starter to where switch is and nothin happened:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: $#^%$&%$#%^**$$^*&&(&^&

tdawglp
Mar 7th, 09, 04:28 PM
breaking news:i went outside to take the wires off and the purple and pink wire on the switch bumped each other and the starter turned so i tried to move the wires around and it turned over but the only prob is the switch is off when it turns over is there any way to make sure the switch is cutting the power off with out buying a new one

Philip
Mar 7th, 09, 05:48 PM
I am not completely following what is going on.
Do you still have the 2 purple wires jumpered? and then the purple and pink at the switch touched and the starter engaged?

tdawglp
Mar 7th, 09, 05:55 PM
yeah but i pulled the purple up and the pink was still in the switch and i bumped into it when i was pulling back and it sparked and i heard the started turn/scared the **** out of me i just changed my pants

Philip
Mar 7th, 09, 06:01 PM
Knowing where the voltage is flowing and where it isn't is the key to solving electrical problems especially since I can not see the wiring to know if it has been altered from the factory routing.

It would be a lot easier to diagnois the problem if you could do this

Thomas one of the purple wires under the dash should have battery voltage when you turn the ignition switch to start. If not the problem is from that point back to the ignition switch on the lower part of the steering column. If you do have battery voltage on one wire at the point then check to see if it is getting to the solenoid through the other wire; if not the problem will be in the wire from there to the starter solenoid. If you have voltage all the way to the solenoid the problem is either the solenoid or the starter. Try and let us know what you find.

tdawglp
Mar 7th, 09, 06:20 PM
never mind i switched the pink and the purple wire around and when i turned the switch then it engaged/man im so happy i was starting to think i never get it hooked up/thanks TEAM NOVA couldnt have done it without cha.:hurray::D:);):thumbsup: