shock relocation brackets [Archive] - Nova Tech

: shock relocation brackets

norcalnova
Feb 25th, 09, 01:20 PM
I have a 73 nova and just converted the rear to disk.but found out that the shocks are staggered.The driver side shock need to be moved in front of axel with new plate. cause it hits the bracket for the caliper. :(
Still searching ebay.
NorCalNova
Billy:D

SHIFTY4
Feb 25th, 09, 01:23 PM
how bad does it hit ? can it be trimmed or clearanced ?

any pics ?

the solution, once found, might be helpful to others in the future ;)

brian oneil
Feb 25th, 09, 01:31 PM
If you have the flat plate that the lower shock mount bolts too, you may be able to trun it around. I pic of the plate would work to make that determination though :thumbsup:

norcalnova
Feb 25th, 09, 01:33 PM
well it hits the emergency brake spring.I was think on just drilling new hole for the shock inward about a inch
NorCalNova
Billy

SHIFTY4
Feb 25th, 09, 01:34 PM
depending on how bad it hits i'd consider clearancing the bracket before i tried drilling/relocating the shock... is it the shock or the plate that's hitting ?

norcalnova
Feb 25th, 09, 01:39 PM
The caliper emergency spring is hitting the upper part of the shock.

SHIFTY4
Feb 25th, 09, 01:41 PM
what about elongating the U-Bolt holes in the plate SLIGHTLY and shifting the plate inward by, say, 1/8" ?

norcalnova
Feb 25th, 09, 01:41 PM
with the kit I have the smallest shim on the inside of the plate.And it is aligned pretty
good I have seen where you can relocate your shock to the front of the axel. But i was hoping not to do that.
billy

norcalnova
Feb 25th, 09, 01:43 PM
I like that idea ill take some pics when done. Im setting up the car for road racing.LOL so the wife think's

Philip
Feb 25th, 09, 01:44 PM
I am relocating the shock to the front of the axle to clear my caliper. If you decide to do yours I'll post the procedure I used.

norcalnova
Feb 25th, 09, 01:51 PM
what type of plate are you using for the driver side

NoCalNova

Philip
Feb 25th, 09, 04:05 PM
I made my own for the top and using 67 Camaro lower plates. The top plate bolts to the existing shock mount holes and moves the shock forward. Only one hole needed to be drilled into the body. I'll take some photos and post them as soon as I can.

Big Dave
Feb 25th, 09, 04:05 PM
You can buy new plates with double shock mounting holes from Speedway.com. You can not just bore a hole in the trunk and move the shock inboard for two reasons, First the shock isn't long enough to strech that far without loosing suspension travel. Second, the upper mounting plate has to be reinforced. It exerts a tremendous load that will tear through the sheet metal of the trunk. Competition Engineering and DSE sell a shock relocation kit to move shocks inboard to clear big rubber in the back. It is esentially a 2"x2" DOM square heavy wall tube with gussests and mounting plates to weld into your frame rails above the axel, and two new shock mounting plates.

Big Dave

Philip
Feb 25th, 09, 08:19 PM
Actually on the models with the staggered shocks the brackets are both the same, swapping sides does no good. The 67 Camaro is the only year that had both shocks on the same side of the axle. In 68 on the Camaro and the 68 - 79 Nova all had staggered shocks.
I used the DSE plates for the 67 Camaro, besides moving the shock location they are 3 times as thick as the stock units.

Stock plates neext to the DSE

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/64elcamino/77%20Nova%20project/rear%20end/shockplatesDSE.jpg

installed pic (this is the passenger side)

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/64elcamino/77%20Nova%20project/rear%20end/springplate-1.jpg

I'll go out to the shop and snap a photo of the relocation bracket I made. Again it will bolt into the stock location and has spacers to make it fit at the angle needed for the shock to install properly. The stock location really isn't that beefy, just an 1/8" peice of metal welded to the body sheet metal.

Philip
Feb 25th, 09, 08:51 PM
Sorry about the delay, I stopped to eat dinner; pork chops, mashed potatoes and corn. Real good :)
Anyway here is the bracket. Another inch will be trimmed of the rounded end and 2 of those bolt holes will be used to mount it to the existing mount. The hole on the other end will be used to secure that end to the body. The large square hole is for the top of the shock to fit into and the mount holes in the reenforcing plate are threaded for the shock bolts. I still need to weld the two pieces together, pretty it up a little and paint it. It does fit well and the shock mounts in the same location and at the same angle as the passenger side.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/64elcamino/77%20Nova%20project/rear%20end/shckbracket2.jpg

norcalnova
Feb 25th, 09, 10:04 PM
After trying all different ways those brackets from dse looks like the ticket

what is the website?

Philip
Feb 25th, 09, 10:14 PM
Detroit Speed and Engineering (http://www.detroitspeed.com/productpages/indproduct/rearsuspensionprod/lower_shock_plates_prod_test.htm)

norcalnova
Feb 25th, 09, 10:30 PM
are those considered shock plate or tow hook

Philip
Feb 25th, 09, 10:31 PM
Shock plate, the tow hook plate mounts under it. Looks like a cool deal if the car will be on a trailer a lot.

Philip
Feb 25th, 09, 10:33 PM
Tow hook plates (http://www.detroitspeed.com/productpages/indproduct/rearsuspensionprod/tow_hooks_prod.htm)

norcalnova
Feb 25th, 09, 10:42 PM
those plates dont look like they have the set up foe swaybars icall in the morning
Thanks
Bill

Philip
Feb 25th, 09, 10:51 PM
The sway bars on the Nova do not hook to the plates, they are attached to the axle tubes.

norcalnova
Feb 26th, 09, 09:45 AM
they are connected to the inside and bottom of the plate. there is a little extension
for the swaybar.

norcalnova
Feb 26th, 09, 10:12 AM
Nova » Suspension » Shocks/Sway Bars » Rear Shock Absorber Mounting Plate/Relocate Kit » 797NLHRH
The shock absorber mounting plate bolts to the bottom of the leaf spring with U-bolts, and the shock absorber bolts to the plate. Constructed of stamped steel. This replacement part is 2" longer than the original, but the excess material may be removed if desired.Part # Description Price Add to Cart
797NLHRH LH/RH rear shock absorber mounting plates fit 1968-1973 models (correct for 1970-1974 with RPO-F41 Special Performance Suspension with sway bar mounting bracket). $159.00

This GM service-replacement plate is correct for multileaf spring assemblies but will also work on monoleaf suspensions. This part is 2" longer than the original, but the excess material may be removed if desired. NOTE: The only way to determine if your car was originally equipped with a RPO-F41 Special Performance Suspension is to check the build

Novaz
Feb 26th, 09, 01:09 PM
Heres how i did mine using the comp engineering crossmember and some home made lower brackets
http://www.glowfoto.com/users3/dnewnova/image.php?iid=1959411&aid=31601&offset=8e

http://img4.glowfoto.com/images/2008/01/31-2016533308M.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?srv=img4&y=2008&m=01&t=jpg&img=31-201653L&rand=3308&zoom=yes)

Philip
Feb 26th, 09, 01:51 PM
they are connected to the inside and bottom of the plate. there is a little extension
for the swaybar.

I have not seen a factory install, only aftremarket set ups.

norcalnova
Feb 26th, 09, 03:04 PM
Ill send pic when i get off work

norcalnova
Feb 26th, 09, 07:30 PM
i guess i need a place to put my pics

Philip
Feb 26th, 09, 09:26 PM
Billy I like Photobucket, I upgraded to the premium account for the extra storage space and absence of flashing ads.

the how to thread (http://www.novas.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1896)

Philip
Feb 26th, 09, 09:32 PM
Nova Suspension Shocks/Sway Bars Rear Shock Absorber Mounting Plate/Relocate Kit 797NLHRH
The shock absorber mounting plate bolts to the bottom of the leaf spring with U-bolts, and the shock absorber bolts to the plate. Constructed of stamped steel. This replacement part is 2" longer than the original, but the excess material may be removed if desired.Part # Description Price Add to Cart
797NLHRH LH/RH rear shock absorber mounting plates fit 1968-1973 models (correct for 1970-1974 with RPO-F41 Special Performance Suspension with sway bar mounting bracket). $159.00

This GM service-replacement plate is correct for multileaf spring assemblies but will also work on monoleaf suspensions. This part is 2" longer than the original, but the excess material may be removed if desired. NOTE: The only way to determine if your car was originally equipped with a RPO-F41 Special Performance Suspension is to check the build

These will still leave you with staggered shocks.

Namrepus28
Feb 27th, 09, 05:35 AM
Would you look at that. I join up and I find a thread that will give me what I want almost instantly.

I've been looking for a pic of the stock rear suspension set up (mainly shocks) on a Nova for a while now. All I have to do is wait for Billy to find a site to host his photos!

*Waiting eagerly*

(The Nova I am going to be fixing up is missing it's rear shocks currently. If changing to a non-staggered set up will help, I might consider it.)

norcalnova
Feb 27th, 09, 09:50 AM
click on my name and i have it there for now

norcalnova
Feb 27th, 09, 09:53 AM
it dont show the shocks ill take a pic tonight for ya if needed
Billy
NorcalNova

norcalnova
Feb 27th, 09, 09:53 AM
"(

strtlegal
Feb 28th, 09, 12:45 AM
Since I didnt want to mess with moving my shocks I just ordered two right hand brake calipers, left side is in front and right side is in the back. trust me no one will ever notice.

norcalnova
Feb 28th, 09, 10:44 AM
You dont havy issues with the calipers being staggered
mine on the left is at 11 and the right side is at 2. someone said that it would not work correctly thay.
Billy
NorCalNova
:thumbsup:

Philip
Feb 28th, 09, 10:44 AM
GM changed to staggered shocks to help control wheel hop. GM also developed rear disc brakes for the later Camaros that were compatable with the shock arangement. My rear disc set up was removed from a car I was parting out, so the FREE part was worth a little extra work to install. The Cadillac rear disc set up I am using requires both calipers t be facing rear for the parking brake to work. I like the set up because both cables run forward along the drivers side with the crossover being above the rear axlenot under the exhaust and drive shaft. The parking brake is also the adjustment to keep the pads out close to the rotor. With a manual transmission the parking brake will be used whenever the caris parked. Last night I made the final modifications on my relocation bracket. I will post some photos later.
I had considered moving the shocks inboard like Roy did but the exhaust pipes run right through the place the shocks would have been.

norcalnova
Feb 28th, 09, 11:03 AM
thats my issue still i purchased those shock plates from dse but for handling purposes i wanted my shocks to be stggered. i can move my driver side caliper to the 11 position
and alittle work to the brake lines and e brake.

Philip
Feb 28th, 09, 11:06 AM
The technology now is way better then the designs of the late 60's. I do not anticipate any problems, other then a lack of traction from the torque and horsepower.

Philip
Feb 28th, 09, 11:09 AM
You dont havy issues with the calipers being staggered
mine on the left is at 11 and the right side is at 2. someone said that it would not work correctly thay.
Billy
NorCalNova
:thumbsup:

Just make sure the bleeder is at the top or you can not get all the air out.

norcalnova
Feb 28th, 09, 11:10 AM
true .setting the car up for road coarse thats why i want to keep it that way.
by the way i have for sale orig. f41 suspension is for sale all sway bars and mounts.
i will poast later with pics.

Philip
Feb 28th, 09, 11:14 AM
true .setting the car up for road coarse thats why i want to keep it that way.
by the way i have for sale orig. f41 suspension is for sale all sway bars and mounts.
i will poast later with pics.

Place it in the classified sections so I do not have to delete it :D

strtlegal
Feb 28th, 09, 11:39 AM
I'm sorry Billy I dont understand what your saying? Are you saying that someone told you that you couldn't stagger mount them but you proved them wrong or are you saying you don't want to mount the way I did because of road racing?

All the parts I bought are from KORE3 industries, Tobin knows alot about braking systems, tandums, hydro, what m/c to use with what combo. The price your not going to beat anywhere. It's all based on c5/c6/c7 brakes. I used there c5/c6 calipers and it stops on a dime, just an FYI going with big rear brakes makes picking out rear rims a PITA.

norcalnova
Feb 28th, 09, 05:48 PM
performance plus said they donr recommend that i stagger the calipers.That is to Co I purchased from<And yes i can mount them staggered. the bleeder valve would be at the bottom.

strtlegal
Feb 28th, 09, 06:21 PM
Interesting, my bleeder is at the top on both sides.

Philip
Feb 28th, 09, 10:54 PM
Here is the final version of the upper shock mount. The extra plate was uneeded and removed. The bend was to allow the shock to sit at the same angle as the passenger side and bolt to the existing shock mount. I used some tubing spacers between the bracket and the stock mount holes. It is really solid and the 1/4" steel is actually thicker then the factory sheetmetal mounting area. The shock also has the same center to center length installed as the passenger side. The paint is drying so the photo installed will be taken tomorrow. I used the nuts and bolts supplied by QA1 to mount the shock to the plate and then bolt the plate to the body.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/64elcamino/77%20Nova%20project/rear%20end/P1010007.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/64elcamino/77%20Nova%20project/rear%20end/P1010006.jpg

Philip
Feb 28th, 09, 10:59 PM
The orientation of the caliper has no bearing on the operation of it. The rotor goes around and the caliper presses the pads onto it, the parts could care less where on the circle they are mounted. The only limitation is the bleeder. If where you put the caliper causes the bleeder to be anywhere but up it will not allow the air to leave the cavity. Now there is always more then one way to get the end result you need. If the bleeder is not up the caliper can be bled by removing it from the bracket, place a block of wood in between the pads and hold it with the bleeder up while it is being bled. When done install on the car and you are done.

Philip
Mar 1st, 09, 05:01 PM
This is the installed photo. I started another thread on this project. If any one has a write up on moving the shocks inboard please post it.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/64elcamino/77%20Nova%20project/rear%20end/bracketinstalled.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/64elcamino/77%20Nova%20project/rear%20end/Shockbracketfinaldesign5.jpg