New rubber and maybe rims? (with mockups) [Archive] - Nova Tech

: New rubber and maybe rims? (with mockups)

ArenaSwe
Nov 5th, 08, 11:44 PM
I am looking for some new rubber and maybe rims / color.

The first image is the current appearance (front 195/75/R14 rear 225/75/R14)

The second is with BF Goodrich Radial T/A, probably want as wide as I can fit, remember that the rims aren't that wide. Anyone know the size? 6" 7" ?

The thirds is the same as the second but with blacked out rims. This one is my favorite. It just looks all business! :-)

The fourth is with rally rims.

Added two more...

/M

SHIFTY4
Nov 6th, 08, 02:37 PM
numbers 3 & 5 for me.

i dig the dogdish look, not necessarily just factory caps, i like Ralleys with either the flat moons or the disc brake caps... but NO rings. i've been thinking of redlines on my car... i think they'd look nice :thumbsup:

Oh, and i think the stance on your car is just about perfect, i hope it's not photoshopped ;)

ArenaSwe
Nov 6th, 08, 03:12 PM
The stance is there, I did get new Hotchkis multi leaf springs in the back, but it's pretty much the same stance as with the old saggy once. I actually went with their Total Vehicle System, so 2" drop in the back 1-2" drop in the front, Bilstein HPS 1000 custom shocks, and their swaybar kit (front and back). Only had time to put rear springs and shocks on right now. (The only thing I have changed are the tires.)

I love the dogdish look. Don't want to much chrome it doesn't have that evil look :-) My car doesn't look like much, a granny type color etc.

Do like redlines too. The ones in pic 5 I just photoshopped in so they aren't true to any tire out there.

I was actually thinking of 17x8 Ralleys with Nitto 255 extreme, but the Ralleys in that dimension aren't cheap at all, around $200 per rim. :-(

/M

SHIFTY4
Nov 6th, 08, 03:15 PM
yeah, i know what ya mean about the $$$... after reading your post i checked "Coker" and looked at the redlines (i had thought of them but never looked) the prices are pretty high for a "Red" line on a tire... sizes are very limited and the prices are kinda high... close to 200 bucks per tire :eek:

ArenaSwe
Nov 6th, 08, 03:20 PM
Exactly! That's why I am looking a stock BF Goodrich Radial T/A, they are decently priced, as soon as you want something nice & special it gets nasty.

SHIFTY4
Nov 6th, 08, 03:22 PM
yeah, but then if everyone had them they'd no longer be "Special" would they ? ;)

ArenaSwe
Nov 6th, 08, 04:01 PM
yeah, but then if everyone had them they'd no longer be "Special" would they ? ;)

Yeah that's true.

BTW Do you know how wide my rims are? standard rims that fits dogdish hubcaps? BFGoodrich got 245 235 225 /60/r14 so hopefully the 245 in the back but they might be a bit to wide for that rim, 235 and 225 shouldn't be a problem.

SHIFTY4
Nov 6th, 08, 04:09 PM
you can try looking at 2QuickNova's tire/wheel fitment page... that might help.

here's the link (from the JollyRodder site) http://www.2quicknovas.com/tirefit.html

Big Dave
Nov 6th, 08, 05:48 PM
Stock wheels were 14" x 6", Raly's came in 14"x 6" and 14" x 7"; once you get into 15" wheels you get more variation in wheel sizes as cars came with different suspension packages and you could also bolt on bigger 'vette Raly wheels (15" x 8" or larger).

Big Dave

ArenaSwe
Nov 6th, 08, 05:58 PM
Thanks! I probably have the 14 x 6 then.

Big Dave -> Do you know of any 15 in wheels that could fit the dogdish hubcaps?

SHIFTY4
Nov 6th, 08, 08:07 PM
i'm not Big Dave, nor did i portray him on TV... but... you might try these guys for steel wheels ;)

http://www.stocktonwheel.com/

ArenaSwe
Nov 6th, 08, 08:53 PM
Thanks! Big Rotten or Johnny Dave?? ;-) I will contact them and see what they got.

ArenaSwe
Nov 6th, 08, 09:18 PM
http://www.classicchambered.com/classic/wheels.html

Think I found a place for steelies.. GM + ( MOPAR & FORD).

ArenaSwe
Nov 10th, 08, 01:52 AM
4 15x7 original (Kelsey-Hayes) steelies with black powder coating have been ordered.

http://www.classicchambered.com/rims/GM7.jpg

:-)

SHIFTY4
Nov 10th, 08, 01:36 PM
congrats Mr. DogDishMan... they're gonna look sweet :thumbsup:

TrueSS72
Nov 10th, 08, 09:50 PM
Nice

ArenaSwe
Nov 27th, 08, 05:38 AM
The rims have arrived! I am going to get the tires next week, still haven't decided for what dimensions. I would like to keep big diameter look, meaning 28" or around there.

Rims are 15x7

for the front I am thinking 235/70/R15 which is 28" in diameter. for rear maybe sticking with a stock look with the same tire. Or 255/60/R15 29" in diameter might be to big. 275/60/R15 is 28" also, but might be harder to get in there with 4-3/8 backspacing and untouched fenders etc.

Any thoughts or suggestions guys? I want to have a solid look, not too much dragracing duty looking.

/M

jimbo68
Dec 2nd, 08, 12:25 AM
I wouldn't go with a 235/70 on the front if it were me. A buddy has them on a set of 15x7 steelies on a 69 Charger and they look huge, and that's a pretty big car. 235/60 front and 255/60 rear is a nice combo for 7" wheels. I'm pretty sure they are about 27" or so.

ArenaSwe
Dec 3rd, 08, 12:11 AM
I was at the local Discount Tire store today, and the guy at the front desk didn't know jack. He was really confused about my car and insisted to look at the computer. I told him, forget that and let's do some proper work and measure it, he didn't understand at all what I meant, the computer is supposed to have all the answers right! hehe he told me that I can't fit anything bigger then 225 on my car.

Now to the real question, I am wondering how wide a tire I can run on a 7" wide rim, as above? Anything else to think about?

I am going to measure the actual diameter of the 235/60/R15 as there is a Camaro in the garage that has that exact tire.

235/60/R15 and 255/60/R15 might be ok. Thanks for all the advice! Will try tomorrow at some other tire stores.

/M

spider-pig74
Dec 3rd, 08, 05:25 PM
i have a 74 with 255/60 on the rear and 225/70 on the front. dropped 3" in front 2" in the rear.

ArenaSwe
Dec 3rd, 08, 06:46 PM
Hmm I got some 235/60/R15 in the rear right now, It's wide enough for me but I think the diameter is just to small. I found another Discount Tires shop which was very helpful so I'll call em again and see if they have more patience with me.

The rim is a 4-3/8 backspacing so there is a lot of room inwards and maybe less then an inches to the fender inner walls.

The look is awesome but I just want that old school big tire look. This is just giving me a headache right now...

/M

spider-pig74
Dec 3rd, 08, 07:04 PM
my wheels are 15x7 wheel vintiques on back w 4" bs 15x7 on front monte carlo rallies w 4" bs the rear rub a little on the quarter lip in hard turns or hard launches

justin72nova
Dec 3rd, 08, 08:38 PM
I would go with a thinner tire up front, or less backspace.
I'm guessing you didn't read the first example on the 2QuickNova site
"1972
235/60-15 front - 275/60-15 rear
My '72 has the above tire sizes. The fronts are mounted on 15x7 Rally wheels with 4.25" of backspacing. The rears are mounted on 15x8 Rallys with 4.5" of backspacing.

The fronts fit well, but there's only about 1/2"-3/4" of clearance from the frame at full lock (front and back of the tire, both sides of the car) and from the outer tie rods and the anti-sway bar. Also, there's about 1/2" of clearance between the tire and the trailing edge of the front wheel openings. I could not fit a taller tire of similar width on my Nova whatsoever.

The passenger side rear tire rubs on the inside of the inner fender and the driver's side rear tire rubs on the outside of the inner fender, but this rubbing only occurs rarely and only over big bumps or with a significant load in the car. Obviously the frame isn't perfectly aligned in the car, but in talking to several other '68-'74 Nova owners, it sounds like this offset is very common. If the rearend housing were perfectly centered in the body, neither tire would hit.

Also, the front suspension has had one coil cut off the springs, so they are shorter and slightly stiffer than stock V8 A/C springs. This car also has a fiberglass hood, aluminum intake, headers, A/C removed, and the battery is in the trunk, all of which will lighten the front end and therefore it will sit slightly higher. One more thing - the inner fender panels are removed. I don't think they would hit the tires at full lock, but I haven't verified that. "

COPTZER
Dec 4th, 08, 02:05 PM
Hi. In my years of trying different tires and wheels i found out the tire charts are just a close estimate. The manufacturer of the brand of tires are also different width. Example: (on my 72 RN) I also have the Wheels Vintique with 15X7's w/4.00"bs on the front with 215/65R15's. The rears are 15X8's w/4.50"bs and i tried Cooper 275/60's and they rubbed. I then tried the 255/60's and they fit nice without the rub. I then decided to put DOT drag street radials on the rear. M/T 255/60's rubbed. Then i tried a pair of M&H 275/60's and they fit nice and they look tuff:yes:. I like the old school stance (because i'm an old fart). No rub at all. Tires fill up the wheel wells nice. You have to look at the section width not the tread width. Don't get frustrated. Just have fun, that's what it's all about!;)

ArenaSwe
Dec 4th, 08, 04:25 PM
I just ordered 215/70/R15 in the front and 235/70/R15 in the back, approx 27" diameter in the front and 28" in the back. The 235/70 is supposed to be the same width as the 235/60 and there is "plenty" of room, so it should be just fine.

Getting the tires on the car on monday. I'll sure post some pics after I get it done!

Thanks guys!

ArenaSwe
Dec 6th, 08, 01:25 AM
Ha! It has been done!

The new tires look exactly like I wanted. Pictures tomorrow!

/M

ArenaSwe
Dec 6th, 08, 11:50 PM
Now with pictures. Taken at King of the Track at Barona 1/8th mile dragstrip east of San Diego.

/M

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj24/ArenaSwe/IMG_3876_1_small.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj24/ArenaSwe/IMG_3883_1_small.jpg

ArenaSwe
Dec 7th, 08, 12:06 AM
Some more pics..

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj24/ArenaSwe/IMG_3886_1_small.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj24/ArenaSwe/IMG_3863_1_small.jpg

/M

TrueSS72
Dec 7th, 08, 12:28 AM
Some more pics..

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj24/ArenaSwe/IMG_3886_1_small.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj24/ArenaSwe/IMG_3863_1_small.jpg

/M

Looks grrreat! *drools* :disco:

ArenaSwe
Dec 7th, 08, 12:30 AM
Thanks! and yeah Christmas came early this year! Really happy with the look right now.

/M

jimbo68
Dec 11th, 08, 10:42 PM
Looks great, you got the tire size right on!