WIRE PICTURES can you guess what goes where??lol [Archive] - Nova Tech

: WIRE PICTURES can you guess what goes where??lol

Mike Hateful
Jan 8th, 08, 08:37 PM
down where the starter goes
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/MikeHateful/wires1.jpg

ties into the same area as the starter wires but can't identify???
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/MikeHateful/wires2.jpg

drivers fender/alt wires????
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/MikeHateful/wires3.jpg

SHIFTY4
Jan 8th, 08, 08:40 PM
don't give up hope, i bet there's help to be had !!!

just for the sake of knowing "for sure"... what year is this ???

69NovaSS
Jan 8th, 08, 08:42 PM
get yourself a wiring diagram for that year of Nova.

SHIFTY4
Jan 8th, 08, 08:43 PM
he already has it but is having difficulty reading it Duane... i'm waiting on year and will blow up those sections for ID ;)

i'm gonna try anywho ;)

higleyml
Jan 8th, 08, 09:06 PM
Mike that looks like it might be a 71 harness. The purple wire goes to the block side small terminal on the starter. The yellow goes to the fender side of the starter. I have to post this so I can go back and look at your photo.

higleyml
Jan 8th, 08, 09:19 PM
The drivers fender pic the big red wire goes to the horn relay and completes the alt/battery/horn relay/starter link (think of it as a big circle). The light green goes to the high beam side of the headlights. I'm thinking the yellow/white wire might actually be tan and should come out of the fire wall next to that light green wire (next spot over). If that is correct that is your low beam headlight.

higleyml
Jan 8th, 08, 09:24 PM
The only dark green with white stripe I can find is a temp sender wire.

higleyml
Jan 8th, 08, 09:27 PM
I'm thinking that black wire is a ground for something but I cant tell you what. There six different black ground wires on the diagram I'm looking at.

higleyml
Jan 8th, 08, 09:31 PM
I'm also pretty sure the light green/dark green/brown combo you have goes to the relay for the heater. It is listed as a CEC Rev. Rly on diagram. I think it is the relay that is bolted to the firewall over by the dog box.

Mike Hateful
Jan 8th, 08, 10:22 PM
it is a 1971 nova.. or a 70-71 it has 70 fenders. I thought maybe the alt plug went to the thick red wire on the fender side. I'm getting kinda shaky now that you're talking about this and that being off. I've gotta figure out what the plug is for sure on the firewall.. it's pretty long and it was just sitting there.

Thanks for the input so far.

for sure it's a 71 nova inline 6, recently by me switched to a v8.

thanks again

Mike Hateful
Jan 8th, 08, 10:34 PM
oh I forgot some pictures...I found some more wires behind the hei. this is getting fun.

::sigh:: I don't think I'll have it up and running by my 25 sunday...

Mike Hateful
Jan 8th, 08, 10:53 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=120195189727

that's the auction I won the car off of.

Mike Hateful
Jan 8th, 08, 11:16 PM
if the big red wire is my alt wire, where is the wire that plugs into the back of the alt? Also in that bunch that runs in the fender wire area is a green wire....

higleyml
Jan 9th, 08, 08:36 AM
Mike think of the Alt/battery/horn relay as a big loop. The alt wire runs to the terminal block mounted on the radiator support (close to the battery). That terminal also holds the thick red wire that comes from the horn relay (in the wire bunch that goes from the drivers side of the car to the pass side across the rad support, it also carries all your headlight stuff to the pass side). That terminal will also have a thick red wire that goes to the positive side of the battery which completes your charging (it should be fused). From the horn relay that big red wire goes to the fuss block mounted on the fire wall where it is distributed to different systems around the car. The green wire your talking about is either a sensor wire or it is part of the headlight system. I have a 69 nova myself but I replaced the entire wiring harness with one from a 71. I used Johnnys diagrams and so far I have everything working with 0 fires or fuse blows. Do not panic yet...lol. Copy Johnnys 71 wire guide over to a word doc and then blow it up. I made it so it came out in 2 pages (engine side and cabin side). If you look at the wire diagram on paper then at the fuse block it will appear to you like it is up side down. The way I choose to find a start point was by looking at the two single terminals on each side of the block (It will look like two thick horseshoes facing each other with those single terminals being the ends). I took a roll of masking tape and started marking each wire about 6 inches from the block flowing the diagram. Then I just took one at a time and connected them. Time consuming yes but it really isnt that hard (not for me anyway I have the fenders off). Where are you located in MD? I might could get a weekend day scheduled to come help you out.

higleyml
Jan 9th, 08, 08:38 AM
if the big red wire is my alt wire, where is the wire that plugs into the back of the alt? Also in that bunch that runs in the fender wire area is a green wire....

When you took the 6 out was there a plug? You might have to connect one, you can get them at Advance or Auto Zone (those are the ones I have and I'm sure most parts places will carry them).

Mike Hateful
Jan 9th, 08, 08:10 PM
Sorry Mike I was half dead when I wrote the last two post. I have a end for the alt connection. So just to be sure. The BIG Red wire is probably my alt/bat/relay wire? that means I have to run the the wire to the connector and then plug it in to the alt right? There's supposed to be two wires going to that plug for the alt isn't it? I'm probably not making any sense now either. Saturday I'm going to pull the engine back out of the car. I think I put my engine stands in wrong need to switch them from one side to another. thanks for your help Mike and everyone else.

Mike Hateful
Jan 9th, 08, 08:59 PM
Hey all, Was looking at ebay. Found a 71 with the orginal 6 250 6 in it. I'm seen the wires running to the coil and how it hooked to the distributor. I think I understand it now. I've only ever dealt with chevy v8's I know now how It would run to a 6 (sorta) I'm going to hook up the starter/alt/ and try to figure out how to run a wire to my hei. Lol what was the color of the distibutor wire again? I think I'm going to trace it to the box and re run it in a 10 gage wire. If I can't do that I'll look for the fat pink wire under my dash and do it that way...everything else will come as I get along. If my lights/heater or something like that doesn't work, I'll have to figure that out as I go. Hopefully i'll be able to figure it all out and keep you all updated.

Feeling a lot better

Mike Hateful

higleyml
Jan 9th, 08, 09:37 PM
Sorry Mike I was half dead when I wrote the last two post. I have a end for the alt connection. So just to be sure. The BIG Red wire is probably my alt/bat/relay wire? that means I have to run the the wire to the connector and then plug it in to the alt right? There's supposed to be two wires going to that plug for the alt isn't it? I'm probably not making any sense now either. Saturday I'm going to pull the engine back out of the car. I think I put my engine stands in wrong need to switch them from one side to another. thanks for your help Mike and everyone else.

Mike the large red wire on the alt goes on the lug connector on the Alt. Now as for the other two wires it depends on which alt you are running as to there color. If you are running an interal regulator alt you can run the brown and orange wire to the alt. Those two wires would have been connected to spot 3 & 4 or the external regulator. If you are running the external regulator you connect the wires from spots F & 2 to the alt. Those wires are white and dark blue.