70 Bucket Seats [Archive] - Nova Tech

: 70 Bucket Seats

joe70
Jan 6th, 08, 07:18 PM
How are you guys..I am new to this site and have a question regarding 70 nova ss bucket seats....since I have picked up an ss nova with no interior I need some information...I have been told that 69-70 chevelle buckets and 69-72 lemans buckets are pretty much the same as the nova...is this true. Also say I find a set of lemans buckets...will the nova ss vinyl fit or do I need to get vinyl for a lemans....please help..thanks in advance:D

Big Dave
Jan 6th, 08, 07:29 PM
Welcome to the board Joe!

I do not know the answer to your question. When I owned a 1970 Nova last, I removed the stock Chevy bucket seats and threw them away and installed a set of bucket seats out of a 1970 Hemi Chalenger SE as they were white leather and very much nicer than my old blue vinyl seats, and relatively new coming out of a co-workers car. (of course this occured back in 1972).

Big Dave

Philip
Jan 6th, 08, 07:40 PM
Welcome Joe

It is possible that they are. The pattern on the covers will be different but the basic seat frame should be the same. Check out some photos in the Fred Gibb thread and the post your picture thread. If you know what the A body seats look like you can compare to the X body photos.

SS 396
Jan 6th, 08, 07:43 PM
Joe,the seat frames are the same and you can use the nova Covers.The Tracks are different and will not bolt to the factory mounts in a nova.

joe70
Jan 6th, 08, 08:22 PM
Thanks for all the help..the information has now poited me in the right direction on which way to go..once again thanks for the quick response guys...

cottonwood71
Jan 22nd, 08, 11:02 PM
Those seats will fit, but the Chevelles and other cars use a different track than the X-body (nova) cars. The problem is finding these tracks. It took me months of looking after I bought a nice set of seats. Nobody re-makes these tracks, they only re-make the ones for the more popular Chevelle and Goats.
Terminology lesson here, Tracks Attach to the seat and have the forward/reverse adjusters, these are currently not reproduced for the X-body. The Mounting Brackets are welded to the floorboard and if your car was a bench you'll need these they are available and are different for the X-body. You can get these through Goodmark. There are 8 peices in this kit. Good luck finding the tracks....I paid top dollar for a used set (4 pcs) from a guy on the web.

Gloryhound
Jan 23rd, 08, 07:43 AM
On a positive note the tracks for 68-71 Novas are all the same! Just be glad you don't have a 72 in which they made a one year one car only bucket seat track. Since the floor is the same on the 72 as the 68-74 most guys alter them to fit other year seat tracks though. Then 73-74 Nova's use a different seat track.

SS 396
Jan 23rd, 08, 08:44 AM
The Mounting Brackets are welded to the floorboard and if your car was a bench you'll need these they are available and are different for the X-body. You can get these through Goodmark. There are 8 peices in this kit.

These parts are not the same as the original parts.

cottonwood71
Jan 24th, 08, 01:10 AM
True the Goodmark brackets are different from the stock ones but the function the same and with the carpet in place you can't tell. The original pieces have a strap like feature that lays over the hump that helps the console affix to the floor but this can be easily fabricated. In my case I'm not using a console so it didn't matter. I compared my installed seats to a friends that has factory buckets and as I said with the carpet in you would never know. I have some pictures of the mounting locations if you want. just let me know. Good luck.

grandpachevy
Feb 12th, 08, 10:46 AM
Could you post the pictures of the mounting locations of the mounting brackes for a 70
bucket seats

Thanks
Bill