stuck ignition switch and fuel sending unit help [Archive] - Nova Tech

: stuck ignition switch and fuel sending unit help

footbrake
Aug 3rd, 11, 06:22 PM
my ignition switch on my 70 nova is stuck in the start position.how do i free it??and my fuel sending unit wire is missing.looks like its been cut off.theres a ground wire and a short wire.where does the short wire hook up to??

thanks for your help!!

Norfolknova
Aug 3rd, 11, 07:14 PM
The short wire for the fuel tank should go through a grommet at the rear of the trunk floor, just below the trunk latch, and plug into the the rear chassis wiring harness. As far as the key ignition, it could be the rod that goes down to the actual ignition switch at the bottom of the steering column is binding up. Or it may be the lock cylinder. If you remove the ignition switch at the bottom of the steering column and the key still will not turn then the lock cylinder is bad and needs to be replace.

Matt

footbrake
Aug 4th, 11, 08:23 PM
The short wire for the fuel tank should go through a grommet at the rear of the trunk floor, just below the trunk latch, and plug into the the rear chassis wiring harness. As far as the key ignition, it could be the rod that goes down to the actual ignition switch at the bottom of the steering column is binding up. Or it may be the lock cylinder. If you remove the ignition switch at the bottom of the steering column and the key still will not turn then the lock cylinder is bad and needs to be replace.

Matt
I looked today at the rear chassis harness and I dont have the wire where the short wire would connect.is there anywhere else to look or connect to.what color is the wire im looking for?thanks for helping

Big Dave
Aug 4th, 11, 09:44 PM
The color of the wire can be observed where it enters beneath the trunk as it exits the rear wiring harness. If the a wire isn't there there should be a hole in the trunk where the rubber grommet held the wire as it passed through the trunk floor. Though if the wire is missing, that might be a clue as to your fuel gauge problem. This wire is powered when the ignition is on and goes to ground at the tank with the resistance in the circuit changing with the movement of the float over the rheostat in the tank that is the sending unit for the gas gauge.

Big Dave

footbrake
Aug 4th, 11, 10:10 PM
The color of the wire can be observed where it enters beneath the trunk as it exits the rear wiring harness. If the a wire isn't there there should be a hole in the trunk where the rubber grommet held the wire as it passed through the trunk floor. Though if the wire is missing, that might be a clue as to your fuel gauge problem. This wire is powered when the ignition is on and goes to ground at the tank with the resistance in the circuit changing with the movement of the float over the rheostat in the tank that is the sending unit for the gas gauge.

Big Dave
theres no wire there either.now there is a pink wire hanging from the plug that goes behind the gauge cluster.i dont if thats it or not:confused:

Big Dave
Aug 4th, 11, 11:02 PM
The pink wire isn't the issue as there should be an electrical circuit (wire) connecting the ignition switch, the gauge (that is just a volt meter), and the tank sending unit to ground (the car's chassis). The part in the trunk that is missing is called the rear wiring harness (you can buy a reproduction rear chassis wiring harness for your year car from American Wire or Painless, and other less well known companies), there is wiring you need that is also found inside the interior and that includes all of the wiring under the dash. (odds are that piece of wiring is still there though, but if the intermediate wiring harness is also hacked out you will need to replace that harness as well).

This assumes you want to restore the car. If you just want a working gauge you can run a piece of wire from the back of the gas gauge to the trunk and down to the gas tank. You will have to drop the tank and replace the old sending unit as well as clean up any rust in the area that would prevent a good ground as that is why the last owner cut the wiring out thinking he was going to "fix" it.

Big Dave